Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Fixed bail front seam M1 helmet

Article about: Greetings, I am by nature a bayonet collector but just hours ago I stumbled upon a front seam fixed bail M1 helmet with liner at a local antique shop. I know just enough to make a bad purcha

Default re: Fixed bail front seam M1 helmet

I don't think anyone would pass up a Fixed Bail with original chin strap for that price....add the SC liner and you stole this thing. What I like best is it is pretty likely a matched set, judging by the condition of the two and really looks the part of a "been there" combat helmet. To me, much nicer to display than one of those pretty pieced together helmets that sell for way too much money most of the time.

Nice Find.....

Russ

?

And you have a rare "double wire" sweatband in there! Well done. Thats a great buy.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    fair enough maybe the button in's are a transition or mfg grouping with the Hawley type liners?
    The first SC liners had the rayon setup until the middle of 1942 when they changed to cotton. There were transitional versions between the two. The cotton setup was still under development at the time it was fitted to SC liners.
    With this liner, the interior is painted green? This was discontinued within months of first production, and is quite rare.
    The pot heatstamp indicates April/May 1942, which fits well with the rough production date of the liner.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

NCA
    ?

Default Re: Fixed bail front seam M1 helmet

Well done!Nice lid..very nice price and a St.Clair liner to boot.

Thanks a ton guys for all the information. I have learned quite a bit. This is why even though most antique stores are a waste of time, full of overpriced relics, I still scour them for gems like this. I knew fixed bail helmets were the rarer ones but not all these cool details or I would have bought it on the spot.

The questions is now what to do. The more you guys tell me about this the more I am taking a shine to it. I was thinking about a trade or quick sell to put towards something with an edge but now... we'll see. I have a few newer M1s but none like this in my collection.

Pal
    Last edited by paladin1919; 08-07-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Nice catch, been there look ,like it,
    I would keep it for now unless you find a great bayonet which would equal it.
    Rod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12