Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Fixed-bail US M1 refurbished.

Article about: Here's a few pictures of my genuine fixed bail M1 helmet shell. When I originally purchased this it was fitted with a european-made liner, and someone had painted 'MP' on the front very crud

Default Fixed-bail US M1 refurbished.

Here's a few pictures of my genuine fixed bail M1 helmet shell. When I originally purchased this it was fitted with a european-made liner, and someone had painted 'MP' on the front very crudely. After considerable thought I decided to refurbish and modify it into a representation of a WW11 M1C.

I have made no attempt to age the liner, although I have dirtied the outer shell chinstraps a bit. The liner is genuine US WW11 manufacture and recently re-rigged to represent a para helmet. I may add that no attempt is being made to pass this off as a genuine M1-C. Unit markings are hand-painted and to the correct size. I am now looking for a well-made and aged reproduction German para helmet if anyone is interested in a trade.

Harry.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fixed-bail US M1 refurbished.   Fixed-bail US M1 refurbished.  

Fixed-bail US M1 refurbished.   Fixed-bail US M1 refurbished.  

Last edited by HARRY THE MOLE; 04-08-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: to clarify description

?

Default Re: Fixed-bail US M1 refurbished.

Looks like you've done a good job there Harry.

nice work Harry, these helmets would have originally looked new like this back in WWII, it's nice to see a good example of how they would have looked back then once in a while, I was thinking of painting one of my M1 shells a WWII pacific theater camo since I had to remove the blue paint and it needs a refinish anyways.

?

nice job mate pity i have got what your looking for as i would have had it off ya

Hi Harry.

Nicely done mate, very impressive display piece ,you got there.

Just out of interest what paint did you use?

I like this one a lot, the purists out there ,would say "you should not touch an original " ,but as you say it was'nt original finish anyway,so what the heck

I've just had a thought.......you could flog it on ebay, decribe it as original ,as used by "Dick Winters ,the God father of the
    101st,blah,blah,blah"

And if theres any justice,in the world, some slimeball,who rippped you off,in the past ,will buy it,........Ha,ha now that would be a good day

But then it would probably,re-appear, with mysterious, " HBO- The Pacific " paint job

Quote by gaz232sqn View Post
    Hi Harry.

Nicely done mate, very impressive display piece ,you got there.

Just out of interest what paint did you use?

I like this one a lot, the purists out there ,would say "you should not touch an original " ,but as you say it was'nt original finish anyway,so what the heck
    Hi Gaz,
    My techniques and paints are highly refined! I've never tried to refurbish an American helmet before, so I purchased the paint and cork from a well-known seller on e-bay. I have my own painting methods for doing things, but on this occasion I tried his method. The results could be summed up as crap. Although the supplied cork is fine, it looks more like boulders stuck to the shell when the paint is dried. I don't think I have ever seen a re-corked helmet that looks right! If you study pictures of original helmets the texture is not very proud of the surface.

Anyway, back to the painting. I left the original paint on the shell and just de-greased it. I used the paint (without cork mixed in) I purchased off e-bay, but to be honest - Humbrol enamel would be just as good. I allowed the paint to thicken and then applied it with a large piece of sponge in a dabbing motion. If you do it with care you get a textured finish to the surface. I may experiment with the flock which railway modellers use to imitate grass. I would think that if you painted a lid and then applied the flock using a pepper pot, allowed it to dry and then gave a thick coat of paint with a sponge it would look the dogs-whatever. The unit markings were applied free-hand using a high-tech paint sold under the brand-name of Dulux pure brilliant white. I scorched the unit markings with a flame-gun and then rubbed them with fine wire wool when cooled, this gives a realistic worn-effect, although it doesn't show up in the pictures! Some people may class this as faking an object, I prefer to class it as sympathetic restoration. Not everyone can afford to own an original of certain types of helmet, so this is the next best thing to fill a gap in a collection. It only becomes 'iffy' if the intention is to deliberately deceive someone, and that is why I wouldn't attempt to age the inside of a helmet. People can see it for what it is then.

Harry.
    Last edited by HARRY THE MOLE; 04-09-2010 at 10:50 AM.

Hi Harry.

I think I know,which famous ebay seller you mean,I've never bought the paint and cork,but did buy an M2 lid,fromm this guy, at the time ,I was well chuffed,that was up until the point,I got hold ,of genuine M1's with genuine colour and finish.And compared the two.....no comparison really!!!

I agree with the boulders comment, ideal for rockeries...not M1/M2 cork finishes.

In the past i have bought ,shells that were,rusty pieces of Crap,and have tried the Humbrol route,it took 3 tins ,and the colour was great,but could not get the cork finish, too look right.

If i was to sell these "restored" lids,I too would make it ,very clear ,that the lid in question,was restored.

Because there's enough crooks out there,without becoming one!

The more I get into this,helmet collecting lark,the more I realise ,there are some real B*****ds out there,waiting too,rip me off.
    Once bitten, twice shy.......thank god for this forum,and others like it!!

Cheers Mate