Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Fixed Bale M1 - White Band

Article about: This one has me a bit confused. I bought the shell off of Ebay because of the white band, which I assumed was an MP designation. I married it to a liner in comparable condition. A few days a

Default Fixed Bale M1 - White Band

This one has me a bit confused. I bought the shell off of Ebay because of the white band, which I assumed was an MP designation. I married it to a liner in comparable condition. A few days ago I was watching the History Channel and saw a short clip of men in a landing craft heading ashore in the Pacific. The helmets of 2 soldiers on the LCP had white or yellow bands. The clip was too short and blurry and I couldn't be sure of the color. The band on one of the helmets was wider than the one on this piece and came down to the rim. The band on the other helmet, however, was about the same width as the one on this helmet, and similarly positioned above the rim. I posted this one yesterday on GHW and several members said the band was for Traffic Control personnel, another said MP, and another said that in the book The Supecommandos, on pages 72-73, there is a picture of wounded being loaded onto landing craft on Lily Beach, Kiska, in the Aleutians, dated August 16, 1943, which captures 2 soldiers working on the LCP with these white bands on their helmets. Does anyone else have any information about what these bands mean? I would love to think they were for landing craft personnel myself. Thanks in advance for any input. Cheers, Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fixed Bale M1 - White Band   Fixed Bale M1 - White Band  

Fixed Bale M1 - White Band   Fixed Bale M1 - White Band  

Default Re: Fixed Bale M1 - White Band

Hi Jim,

I think this helmet is a Navy one. Beach Party guys wore these type of markings often in a blue-grey colour, sometimes, but not always, with USN stencilled or hand painted on the front. But colours could vary from ship to ship, depending on the colours available in the paint locker at the time. So various shades of grey,blue and white could be used for this.

I recollect that yellow or red bands were used to denote fire control crewmen and a brown one was for crane operators. White was often used for certain key personell who could be spotted quickly in times of need.

I don't personally think the helmet is MP, SP or traffic control related, but that's just one opinion of many you've already had!

Incidently, is the helmet a Schlueter? The Navy always seemed to have this type according to some guy's on another forum.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Jim,

I think this helmet is a Navy one. Beach Party guys wore these type of markings often in a blue-grey colour, sometimes, but not always, with USN stencilled or hand painted on the front. But colours could vary from ship to ship, depending on the colours available in the paint locker at the time. So various shades of grey,blue and white could be used for this.

I recollect that yellow or red bands were used to denote fire control crewmen and a brown one was for crane operators. White was often used for certain key personell who could be spotted quickly in times of need.

I don't personally think the helmet is MP, SP or traffic control related, but that's just one opinion of many you've already had!

Incidently, is the helmet a Schlueter? The Navy always seemed to have this type according to some guy's on another forum.

Regards, Ned.
    Thanks for your insight Ned. Regarding the shell, I can't make out any maker or heat stamp marks on the interior brow of the helmet, so I don't know if it is a Schlueter. I do recall in a recent thread either here or on GHW that one of the forum members indicated that the depending on the corners of the bales on a fixed bale shell one could tell if it were a Schlueter, but I don't recall what he said about the shape, and I am not that knowledgeable about M1's. Thanks gain for your reply. Best regards, Jim G.

?

sorry cant help with the designation of the painted white band but from the shape of the bails this would be a McCord made shell.

Jim this a super helmet,I would love to have it.
    Big ned is correct Beach party ,I am sure of it.
    I thought about D-day when I saw it,they were also green.
    I love it.
    Not a MP or any police helmet
    Chris

It looks to be MP.

I have a picture somewhere of an MP directing traffic with a band like that. Ill dig it out.