Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Fixed bale Schlueter with 1st pattern USMC frog skin cover

Article about: Here I have a front seam fixed bale Schlueter with the stamp# S 75A and puts its production to 1943. 2 million Schlueters were produced during WW2 compared to McCord’s 20 million. The liner

Default Fixed bale Schlueter with 1st pattern USMC frog skin cover

Here I have a front seam fixed bale Schlueter with the stamp# S 75A and puts its production to 1943. 2 million Schlueters were produced during WW2 compared to McCord’s 20 million.
    The liner is a Firestone with uncoated steel triangular washers which puts this one to early 1943. The nape strap has the laundry number Y-5062 http://wwii-enlistment.com/search/?q...quick-search=1 got 8 hits off this laundry number. The liner comes fitted with a double wire sweat band also.
    The frog skin cover is the type commonly referred to as the 1st pattern but there is apparently some speculation over the order the 3 known cover types were produced in. This cover has no foliage slits and is marked on the rear in a very faded red 204.
    I added this cover to the helmet it did not come with the helmet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fixed bale Schlueter with 1st pattern USMC frog skin cover   Fixed bale Schlueter with 1st pattern USMC frog skin cover  

Fixed bale Schlueter with 1st pattern USMC frog skin cover   Fixed bale Schlueter with 1st pattern USMC frog skin cover  

Fixed bale Schlueter with 1st pattern USMC frog skin cover   Fixed bale Schlueter with 1st pattern USMC frog skin cover  

Love this, i did not know you could date Schlueter from the stamp number like McCord, looks to have a nice cork finish a beautiful example, front seam and fixed bale too, nice one Ian.

Quote by greatwhite View Post
    Love this, i did not know you could date Schlueter from the stamp number like McCord, looks to have a nice cork finish a beautiful example, front seam and fixed bale too, nice one Ian.
    Sorry the way I worded my description makes it sound like I dated it from the number when really it was from it’s features like the front seam and fixed bale. Schlueter were contracted on on the 6th June 1942 to become the second manufacturer of M1 shells. Due to manufacturing problems they didn’t produce any shells until January 1943. Schlueter and McCord both started the change from fixed bale to swivel bale in late 1943. That’s how I managed to date my shell but only by the year not month

Now that makes sense, i have only one Schlueter front seam fixed bale but it gives me an idea of production date now.
    i am planning a little refurb of my room to display them all together.

Quote by greatwhite View Post
    Now that makes sense, i have only one Schlueter front seam fixed bale but it gives me an idea of production date now.
    i am planning a little refurb of my room to display them all together.
    Make sure to take plenty of pics when it’s done

Very nice !! Thanks for posting info when you show a helmet. I was always told the 1st pattern covers are the one you posted. No slits, no stamps.

I was also told about the different stitch pattern between the inside & out which yours shows, "sawtooth" vs. the box stitch

Quote by real steel View Post
    Very nice !! Thanks for posting info when you show a helmet. I was always told the 1st pattern covers are the one you posted. No slits, no stamps.

I was also told about the different stitch pattern between the inside & out which yours shows, "sawtooth" vs. the box stitch
    This guy posted on the M1 forum his 3rd pattern frog skin with a lot of links explaining why the order of these helmet covers maybe in doubt here is the link
    USMC "3rd pattern" helmet cover for review

Will take a look, thanks

David

Great looking set Ian,still can't fathom how the cover actually is worth more than the Shell/Liner set.looking good on a much rarer to Find Schlueter Fixed Loop set,well done Bud............

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Great looking set Ian,still can't fathom how the cover actually is worth more than the Shell/Liner set.looking good on a much rarer to Find Schlueter Fixed Loop set,well done Bud............
    Thanks for your kind comments as always Jake
    The price of M1s and accessories even from when I started collecting seriously two and half years ago is unreal. Even everything M1 post WW2 is going up up up. My philosophy at the moment is grab everything I can whilst there are still bargains and decently priced items out there before I can’t afford them anymore.