Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Flower Power! - Vietnam Protest Helmet Liner

Article about: I was given this helmet liner by my mom's cousin this past Christmas. Story he relayed, is he painted this up around 1969. He would have been about 17-18 at the time. It's been sitting in hi

?

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Don't press it friend.
    Not appreciating the veiled threat. I was under the impression this was a civil place for like-minded collectors to gather, share and discuss their collections, and military history.

I'm not condoning this liner, much like I don't condone the SS uniforms, daggers, etc., that are shared daily on this very forum. Some of the individuals who wore them did far worse than any protester, but not all. However, I understand and respect the history behind all of those items.

You call out one of my family members, and you don't even know him. Your forming an opinion of him, without even meeting the man. For all you know, he never even used the liner. That's no different than those protesters at the time who generalized all servicemen as baby killers, etc.

I'm sorry you were treated that way, and respect you for your service. My father in-law also served during Vietnam (enlisted, not drafted), and was treated likewise when he returned home. However he learned to move past it.

I never served, so I guess I'm not needed.

No further response from me.

A interesting liner during a time of to many politicians playing war and trying to be arm chair Generals. My father served during 66-68 and I remember him waking up with night terrors during my childhood. With all that been said everyone take a step back and take a deep breath. This is history we must take the good and bad, what ever that maybe in your eyes.
    May cool heads prevail. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Quote by yuengling325 View Post
    Not appreciating the veiled threat. I was under the impression this was a civil place for like-minded collectors to gather, share and discuss their collections, and military history.

I'm not condoning this liner, much like I don't condone the SS uniforms, daggers, etc., that are shared daily on this very forum. Some of the individuals who wore them did far worse than any protester, but not all. However, I understand and respect the history behind all of those items.

You call out one of my family members, and you don't even know him. Your forming an opinion of him, without even meeting the man. For all you know, he never even used the liner. That's no different than those protesters at the time who generalized all servicemen as baby killers, etc.

I'm sorry you were treated that way, and respect you for your service. My father in-law also served during Vietnam (enlisted, not drafted), and was treated likewise when he returned home. However he learned to move past it.

I never served, so I guess I'm not needed.

No further response from me.
    Respectfully Sir, but you don't have a clue as to how your father in law has dealt with it or feels now. To assume so does indicate the fact that you have never served.
    No further response from you would be an excellent idea.

Respectfully Yours.
    Steve R - AA, BA, MA, EDS
    Artist, Art Historian, Military Historian, Antiquarian
    A Vietnam Veteran
    Past Commander and current member - American Legion.
    Past Commander and current member - Veterans of Foreign Wars.
    Past commander and current member - Vietnam Veterans of America.
    Current member - Disabled American Veterans.

I believe that I have handled life quite well thankyou.

The only thing I know for sure is it's a damn ugly helmet!

CBH
    ?

It's a piece of History regardless of what anyone personally feel about it .
    And i'd go so far as to say a much rarer item , then a typical war used example .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2