Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Found cool helmet, need help authenticating!

Article about: Hi all, My name is Sam and I recently found a really neat looking M1 helmet from WW2. I don't know too much about them but my father has recently started getting into researching more about

Default Found cool helmet, need help authenticating!

Hi all,

My name is Sam and I recently found a really neat looking M1 helmet from WW2. I don't know too much about them but my father has recently started getting into researching more about WW2 after his father, my grandfather, passed a few years ago.

I want to surprise him for his birthday and I thought that this might make the perfect present. I was told by the man selling this that the liner is a period liner but is not original to the piece. He stated that this liner probably wasn't used in the war on account of its perfect condition but was adament that it was original. The outer casing he said did see service but I am worried about the authenticity of it. From just a quick glance on the internet it does seem to be real. The seam is in the front of the helmet and the marking correspond to an officer's helmet of that time period. However I'm worried that the captain's bars look too "movie-esque" like Saving Private Ryan style. I've read that some were welded or glued on but some were painted. In the case of this helmet I'm not sure if these bars are original or weren't just added on at a later date.

I've attached a few pictures I took today of it and I would greatly appreciate any feedback or advice since I am very clueless in this area. I know that if its real it'll make my dad very happy and envigorate his research.

Thank you so much I really am grateful for any help!

Best regards,

Sam

MAP
    ?

Spider,

Welcome to the forum. Hold tight and some of the guys will be around shortly to help you out.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you Michael, much appreciated!

MAP
    ?

Wish I could help more but I would probably get it wrong. In the meantime, you should read thru the many threads here on M1's. Lots of info to be found.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

For that kind of money, I would find something better - IMO

Looks like someone pimped out a post war repainted M1.
    Regards,
    John

Hi John,

Thanks for the information! The guy took $100 off making it $300. I'm not too well versed in this area but would an authentic officer's M1 with the original rank on the front most likely fetch more than that? I'm not sure what the general ballpark of these helmets are after the recession.

Again I really appreciate it, thanks!

Best regards,

Sam

4md
    ?

I agree the helmet shell is front seam swivel bale but looks to have a post war chin strap, possibly issued later on in the Vietnam era.The liner looks unissued as you said. looks all thrown together , I would wait for a better one if its ww2 era your looking for.

Thank you so much for your input! What do you think about the rank insigna? Do you believe it could be authentic to WW2? Was it common to have welded on ranks for officers on their M1's?

Best,

Sam

Quote by Spider489 View Post
    Was it common to have welded on ranks for officers on their M1's?

Best,

Sam
    Are you sure it is welded on?
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Oh dear Sam i'm truely lost for words!!!!!$300 for this,I'm fully aware you want to do the right thing for your Dad and Grandfather,but please post here before ever getting your cash out,and never take anyone's word who's trying hard to flog you something,they will say just about anything,this is without a doubt a complete waste of your hard earned cash,the images don't help to be fair,but the webbing even if the Liner was un-issued for me is still nowhere near the OD3 tan colour it should be,anyway of getting your money back..............sorry for being honest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast