Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

found an M1 helmet on antique car dealer

Article about: hi, got in contact with a guy today, that had a german helmet for sale, i drove 20km to take a look at an helmet, when i got there i saw that the helmet was not german but a swiss one, but o

Default found an M1 helmet on antique car dealer

hi, got in contact with a guy today, that had a german helmet for sale, i drove 20km to take a look at an helmet, when i got there i saw that the helmet was not german but a swiss one, but on pile of junk there was a shell that looked familiar.An american m1helmet without the original chinstrap.
    he sold it to me for 20 euros.Looks good to me but give me your opinions, real or fake?
    Best regards
    nuno
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture found an M1 helmet on antique car dealer   found an M1 helmet on antique car dealer  

Default Re: found an M1 helmet on antique car dealer

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture found an M1 helmet on antique car dealer   found an M1 helmet on antique car dealer  

Hi.

Looks like you got a good M1 there.

The chinstrap are a mix of era's, one side look's Vietnam era,the other 80's.

Good find, find a liner to match and it will look , very cool

Here`s a better photo of the chinstraps.
    Best regards
    nuno
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture found an M1 helmet on antique car dealer  

Quote by gaz232sqn View Post
    Hi.

Looks like you got a good M1 there.

The chinstrap are a mix of era's, one side look's Vietnam era,the other 80's.

Good find, find a liner to match and it will look , very cool
    Yea,i was lucky, it was a great find, ill see what i can do about the liner. He had amazing stuff for sale, bayonets, swords, bullets, mortars, field telephones, etc.. unfortunately i didnt had enough money
    best regards
    nuno

since the helmet hasnt got any markings, it will be impossible to know its history. About the chinstraps, they have spots of rust, so they have been in the helmet for a long time, i will have to research them and try to find out more.
    Best regards
    nuno

Hi Nuno,

This looks like a M1C helmet. The Portuguese paratroops used these helmets in the sixties, as far as i know.

Good find! Congrats!

Emile

Hi.

Yeah,as Emileverbunt has correctly pointed out, it's a M1-C, paratrooper version,of the standard M1.The second set of pictures you have supplied ,are a lot clearer

These type were used in Veitnam, right through to the 80's,when the M1 was superceded by the PASGT.

The liner's for this type of Lid, if you can manage to find one, have a popper on the inside,for the snap part on the end of the chinstrap, to attach too.

See pictures ( might make more sense to you)

Hope this help's.

Panzereno
    ?

Hi Guys, very nice helmet, like you say it is an m-1c vietnam era, the liners are prety easy to find , i bought a job lot of liners around 12 months ago and in the collection was 26 vietnam paratrooper liners, all complete most all dated around may 1967, i collect m1's myself have over 30 ranging from an early "Inland" liner paratrooper complete with leather chinstrap (not to shure if original though ironicaly it is shortly up for sale to finance another project) to a "used" m-1c vietnam paratrooper lid named.
    i will post pics if any of you guys would like to see my collection i also have a small collection of German m35 m40 all original and complete thanks guys keep looking
    Mike.