Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

FSFB with net

Article about: Hello everyone, came across this FSFB with net priced at \\$345. Looking for some opinions. Description is "This just came out of an old time collection and is a great example of the firs

Default FSFB with net

Hello everyone, came across this FSFB with net priced at $345. Looking for some opinions. Description is "This just came out of an old time collection and is a great example of the first style fixed bail helmet. The helmet has the original olive green rough paint, fixed bail, front seam construction and a net. What more could you ask for? The helmet liner is a Firestone Mfg. and is complete with the sweat band, the rear extra strap, and the liner chin strap. The sweat band is dry and has one tear in the front. The liner has the hole in the front crown and there is ANSTY painted on the front The helmet chin strap has brass fittings and is it still serviceable. Condition very good +++"

Not sure how long this item has been for sale.

I noticed there is not a lot of wear on the rim that you usually see. Another dealer told me that if a net was present during use, this would reduce wear on the rim. I don't know much about netting at this time so I can't speak to the one on there. Not sure how much action this one saw.

I questioned the seller on the difference in color on the sweatband and neck material and he told me that "In regards to the different color of the cloth in the liner yes the rear stabilizer cloth is a different color as it the leather sweat band cloth tabs. That means nothing as the rear strap did not come with a new helmet and you got what was available same with the leather sweat band." I did confirm this in Pieter Oosterman's The M-1 Helmet of the World War II GI.

Only liner damage is that bit on the front and that's minor.

I posted this on the US Militaria forum as well and an administrator chimed in and felt the paint was ok but didn't comment on the net. Any thoughts would be appreciated! This price is more palpable compared to other complete FSFB's I've seen out there recently, all are over $400!

FSFB with netFSFB with netFSFB with netFSFB with netFSFB with netFSFB with netFSFB with netFSFB with netFSFB with netFSFB with netFSFB with net
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FSFB with net  

The set is good including British 1inch net the reason the set is a fair price because A the liner is Blackened Brass A washers meaning last variation plus the liner's had a repaint,if the liner was a rarer maker plus of earlier production then the price would be higher however compared to some euro sites this is an absolute steal.

I do like McCord's better but I guess if it's a good price I can go for it. Also, how are you sure the liner is a re-paint? Seller told me that discoloration on the left side of the liner exterior was a mold mark? So I can see how that would give the impression because of the discoloration. Wouldn't some liners have just aged to a darker color like that?

What is FSFB? This be a liner in VGC paint

?

Front Seam Fixed Bail.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 05-14-2020 at 07:29 AM.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Front Seam Fixed Bail.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks Phil Mate Acronyms Confusion

YouTube

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Thanks Phil Mate Acronyms Confusion

YouTube
    You're in good company Rene, I had to think a bit to work that one out as I at first thought it was a specific type etc. But I only saw this abbreviation for the first time just a few weeks ago, is it a new piece of collector vernacular or has it been around for years and I never noticed?

That does look like a fairly decent FSFB though

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

I thought it was a Russian security police helmet when I read the title..
    I prefer words to acronyms.
    It’s the modern way I fear, Mark.
    Lazy beatniks.

Quote by Kohima View Post
    I thought it was a Russian security police helmet when I read the title..
    I prefer words to acronyms.
    It’s the modern way I fear, Mark.
    Lazy beatniks.
    Hahaha, Federalnaya Sluzhba Bezopasnosti (FSB)

The thing with abbreviations is that they only work if everybody knows what they mean!

I was always taught that in correct prose when introducing an abbreviation one should at first write the full term with the abbreviation in brackets and thereafter just the abbreviation (abbr).

In the mob we had a joint service publication with all the official abbr which was strictly observed.

My current employers just make them up as they go along, quite scary really

Anyway, joking aside back to the topic

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    What is FSFB? This be a liner in VGC paint
    Your soooo not hip Rene LOL

Z

Also I think the official US Terminology written at that time is " Loop" so that can add to the confusion