Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Genuine ERDL Camo cover?

Article about: I'm new to the site and may I say what a great resource it's already proven to be for me. I recently acquired what I believe to be a late production M1 (probably RJ Stampings Company Ltd pro

Default Genuine ERDL Camo cover?

I'm new to the site and may I say what a great resource it's already proven to be for me.

I recently acquired what I believe to be a late production M1 (probably RJ Stampings Company Ltd produced, based on what i've read about the character size of the lot number stamp, which is incidentally 4382).

When it arrived it came with a late model liner (no manufacturer stamp in crown other than a cross with US in top left quadrant and 80 in top right quadrant, mostly unreadable "Helmet Ground Troops Type 1" stamp inside), 80's dated suspension, sweat band and strap.

It also came with a British net (drawstring) and a worn camo cover. I've looked really closely and as far as I can tell the cover has no stamps.

While it looks to be an authentic ERDL cover, and seems similar in quality of material and manufacture to some 80's Woodland covers I own, I was wondering if this could actually be a fake (or at least a replica)?

Genuine ERDL Camo cover?

I've decided to display the helmet with one of the woodland covers for now, though I may change my mind if someone can confirm the ERDL cover is original and contemporary with the helmet.

The cover is now being worn by my Danish manufactured (magnetic steel) Model 48 Staalhjelm for the picture (the helmet band is NATO, not US).

I'll keep the net for a WW2 era helmet

Hi and welcome,can't really help without some extra pics,especially of the cover in question,personally I've not seen fake ERDL made covers although Mitchells are now being produced and sold out of China and some US ebay sellers...............

Hi Jake,

In hindsight I realise this is a near impossible ask, even with further pictures. I guess the critical info would have been on the cover stamp which seems to be missing. Elsewhere on the forum someone referred to using a UV lamp, so I'm going to buy one to try out.

Looking on the web it seems that while uncommon it's not unknown for covers to be unstamped. The fact you're not aware of faked ERDL covers being on the market gives me some confidence to assume it is contemporary with the helmet.

Many thanks for your support.

Regards, Iain.

No problem Iain always here to help,ERDL Covers first contracted 1969 through to about 1980,then woodland pattern 1981-1987,these don't usually sell for much unlike Mitchells,I was gobsmacked when i saw them being repro made,there's plenty original ones still floating about,the cover in question was most likely stamped lightly and the contract may simply of faded out,all the best.............

hi iain and welcome to the forum ,its nice to see the us section gaining some momentum and your posts are helping so keep posting away not to tread on jakes toes as he knows his us m1's like nobody else but i can say i have a woodland cover where the stamp is so faint you cant even see it unless in the right light my opinion is as ive never heard of erdl cover copies being made as of yet its just well worn and the colours have just washed out over time ,as jake said this cover could well be at least if not more 30 years old now so it would be an expected amount of age wear ,if your not happy then keep your eyes out for a more mint stamped example ,they do as you probably already know become available from time to time ,cheers james

I cannot imagine there would be a market for replicas of these? So I think you are safe.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: Welcome to the forum!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I cannot imagine there would be a market for replicas of these? So I think you are safe.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: Welcome to the forum!
    Give it 10 years Ade and your have to re-write whats been written here,I said that once about Mitchells how wrong was I..................

Thanks everyone for your input on this.

The UV blacklight came today, but revealed nothing more. However, comparing the assembly of this cover with known good Woodland covers seems to indicate they are pretty much identical, and given that it came fiited to a period helmet I've decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and assume it's genuine. The seller made no claims for it, or the helmet, so I feel pretty comfortable now that it's probably genuine.

When I get chance I'll post some pictures of my front seam fixed bail M1 with apple green repaint and Mitchell Cover (but '76 dated liner.....incidentally, the UV light really cleared up the contract stamp on the liner, and how disappointed I was to realise it was 76 and not 70).

Regards,

Iain

Sometimes the contract date stamps on these are really light or are hidden by the cammo pattern coming through the other side of the cover.