Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?

Article about: I picked up this helmet about 6-7 years ago when i first became very interested in the Vietnam war, only recently have i been thinking that this may be a genuine Vietnam helmet yet I am a bi

Post Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?

I picked up this helmet about 6-7 years ago when i first became very interested in the Vietnam war, only recently have i been thinking that this may be a genuine Vietnam helmet yet I am a bit of a noob when it comes to authenticating M1 helmets especially during the Vietnam era. So I turn to you guys as you are probably more experienced than me with M1 helmets . I have taken many photos to try and give you guys a good overall look at the helmet. Personally I think it may be an authentic helmet due to the wear and tear but i'm not 100% sure so I would like your input and also to see what information you can get from it. I have attached the pictures below. If some of you find the writing hard to read I will type it here. On the mitchell cover it has "W.M" on the left side and "Massey" down and to the right of it (might these be a name/initials?), on the helmet liner it has some writing in marker which I cant make out, it does however have "3/3" written in finer pen and what i think is "12" below it? The number on the shell is "6755", the rest of the text/writing i think is easy enough for everyone to read.
    Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?

Hi there,

at first glance, everything looks like a helmet in Vietnam configuration. The helmet cover is from 1967.

The helmet shell should be a WW2 production. Looks overpainted. But is not unusual for the Vietnam period.

The helmet band is without cat eyes and with the right markings. So it fits.

Could you add a picture of the shell without the cover?

The Linder is a 1964 pattern. It was produced until 1972.
    Can you make out any stamps on the side of the tape?

Does the sweatband have a stamp on the back?

Do the clips and the closure of the chin strap have markings / stamps? I only see a "o" one one auf the clips.

greetings

Hey Sleepwalker,

I am not too comfortable with taking off the mitchell cover as i have never done that before and i am worried i may damage the cover as it is already ripped and feels frail. Any tips on doing this?

While checking the helmet liner/sweatband I couldn't find any stamps on it but i did find some sort of marking on the front of it where your forehead would sit which looks like it attempted to be written in pencil as it is slightly indented on the liner, it says "W 7 7" I think? Or maybe "L M M". Where would these stamps be?

Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?

The right/longest strap clip has a small anchor stamped on it and the clip holding the strap to the shell has a small "O" stamped on it. Hope this helps!

Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?Is This A Genuine Vietnam M1 Helmet?

Thank you.

The chin straps fit. The anchor and "o" symbol belong to the manufacturer North & Judd Manufacturing, New Britain, Connecticut and date from the mid-1960s to 1967. At that time the manufacturer of
    Western and Gulf Industries acquired and no longer marked its production in style.

Liner and sweatband without stamping. Then you can not say anything more about the date of manufacture. Visually they fit into the time window.

The letters on the sweatband are marks of the wearer. Name probably.

Thanks for the help Sleepwalker, this has helped a lot and i know a lot more about the helmet now. I'll see if i can link it to the name of a soldier, until then thanks!