Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Grey M1 helmet.

Article about: Hi Andy, thanks for your post - much appreciated. The date on the sweatband is 77 so yes mid-70's. The stamp in the liner is quite odd isn't it? Why would the US be the wrong way round? Very

Default Re: Grey M1 helmet.

Hi Andy,

thanks for your post - much appreciated. The date on the sweatband is 77 so yes mid-70's. The stamp in the liner is quite odd isn't it? Why would the US be the wrong way round? Very strange.

Anyway, just to pick your brains. Assuming this is a spring '45 shell, what make/model of liner would you think of fitting into it? How easy is it to replace the chinstraps with wartime one's?

Cheers,

Ian.

?

Quote by canti44 View Post
    Hi Andy,

thanks for your post - much appreciated. The date on the sweatband is 77 so yes mid-70's. The stamp in the liner is quite odd isn't it? Why would the US be the wrong way round? Very strange.

Anyway, just to pick your brains. Assuming this is a spring '45 shell, what make/model of liner would you think of fitting into it? How easy is it to replace the chinstraps with wartime one's?

Cheers,

Ian.
    Ok, well. You could really take your pick with liners, this lid has been used through the years so, you could have a late WW2 one, a Korean war one, or a Vietnam era one. All of these were used for many years.
    Personally, for the trouble involved I would not recommend replacing the chinstraps, WW2 ones are sewn onto the helmet bales in a very specific way which is difficult to reproduce. For the time and effort involved you may just want to invest in a lid that already has sewn on chinstraps. That is not to distract from the helmet you have, it is a very nice thing in its own right and has a lot of history with it.
    If, for instance, there was a 1968 dated sweatband in there, you would have a cracking 'Nam Navy lid. It's really up to you though.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Hi Andy,

some really good points there mate. Mmm...a '68 sweatband - that's something to think about. I bought it with a '74 camo cover on it in a shop in Liverpool in the early 80's. There was about 20 of them all stacked up. I suppose it is what it is but the liner does look older than the sweatband that's in it. If only these things could talk?

Cheers,

Ian.
    Last edited by canti44; 07-17-2012 at 03:19 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12