Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hawley Lid

Article about: It's a very early beauty for sure. Great helmet, one of these is on my wishlist.

?

Default Hawley Lid

With the combination of nice weather and a rare day off, I've managed to grab a few pics of one of my Hawley lids. The heat stamp seems to be 27a?

Best Regards,

Andy

Supported by Bugme!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hawley Lid   Hawley Lid  

Hawley Lid   Hawley Lid  

?

Default Re: Hawley Lid

A reai veteran.

?

a very nice FB fiber liner M-1 set up you have there very nice indeed

4md
    ?

very nice hawley set

Very nice set.

?

Thanks, I'm glad you like the "Old Timer."

About the heatstamp, is 27A possible, or is it missing a number?

Kind Regards,

Andy

heat stamps good has the m1917a chinstrap,these are the type fitted to post-ww1 brodie refurbs and the kelly helmet,MCcord wanted to exaust the remaining suppies they had before moving on to the raised brass buckle the type most commonly found on ETO lids,very nice set every M1 collectors dream,dave

?

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    heat stamps good has the m1917a chinstrap,these are the type fitted to post-ww1 brodie refurbs and the kelly helmet,MCcord wanted to exaust the remaining suppies they had before moving on to the raised brass buckle the type most commonly found on ETO lids,very nice set every M1 collectors dream,dave
    Well, Bu**er me with a Bu**er me thing. I should have known the chinstrap stuff. Never thought to check. Because my collection is arranged chronologically, that lid is sat right next to a Kelly, and guess what, identical straps. At least I had it's position correct, subconsciously I suspect.

Dave, thanks so much for the heads up, I must have been napping.
    I knew I was going to like this forum!

Best Regards,

Andy

no worries andy that heat stamp puts it around nov 1941 which in theory means when these lids were made there were no liners availible to put in them as hawley didn't start turning them out from dec-jan onwards,once again one of the earliest i've come across,there isn't one in the HELMETS OF THE ETO book dated as early as your one,bet she cost an arm +leg?dave

?

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    no worries andy that heat stamp puts it around nov 1941 which in theory means when these lids were made there were no liners availible to put in them as hawley didn't start turning them out from dec-jan onwards,once again one of the earliest i've come across,there isn't one in the HELMETS OF THE ETO book dated as early as your one,bet she cost an arm +leg?dave
    Dave, I bought this off E-bay when the £/$ was 2:1. I remember that the seller was not a dealer, and, you know the things we are all looking for, War Helmet was the title. The photos were very poor. It came as a set. I think that a few American bidders were on to it as a possibility, but there was no response from the seller for more photographs. You could hardly see that there was a Hawley under there. I took a chance. I cannot remember the final price, but I have all limbs still attached. It came from California, if I remember.

Memory is a strange thing, dimming with age, but that is how I remember it.

Her Majesty's Customs and Excise gave a Right Royal Scr**ing on arrival though.

The reason that I have asked about the heatstamp is that I have not seen one like that either, and I have the ETO book. I still think there may be a number missing, unstamped. I have chalked it, wet it, and nothing.

Kind Regards,

Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast