Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helmet Collection

Article about: I'm new to the forum and figured I'd share my collection with the members here. I've posted many of these helmets elsewhere so some may have seen these helmets before. I've been collecting f

Default Helmet Collection

I'm new to the forum and figured I'd share my collection with the members here. I've posted many of these helmets elsewhere so some may have seen these helmets before. I've been collecting for about 2.5 years at this point and focus mainly on US helmets and ordnance (espescially training ordnance). I try to have a little bit of everything in my collection but the main focus at this point is the WWII/KW eras. I'll write a little info about each helmet and and highlight a few of my favorites. Unless otherwise noted, the nets/chinstraps on these helmets were added by me for display.

Up first is the main display
    Helmet Collection

Starting from the top shelf going left to right, up first is a late 50s/early 60s USMC helmet. It consists of a FS/SB McCord, late war westinghouse liner, and WWII 3rd pattern cover. It has a unit roster/property number painted on the rear of the helmet, liner, and on the beach side of the cover. This one is salty in all the right ways
    Helmet Collection

next is a very early FB with 1st pattern Hawley liner. This helmet came from a lot of helmets from the USS San Francisco that were being sold online last year. Unfortunately, due to poor storage the Hawley has become very warped but is still completely intact and still manages to retain its chinstrap after all of this time
    Helmet Collection Helmet Collection

third on the top shelf is another early war helmet with 1st pattern General Fiber liner. The liner itself is not in the best condition but considering the very limited number of 1st pattern General Fiber liners I can't complain. The helmet belonged to Emery Herbert Hapworth, who served as a Seabee in the USNR. Mr. Hapworth served stateside during the war after a prexisting back issue was aggregated during training. The shell is marked "E. H. Hapworth" inside and both the shell and liner are stamped with his initials.
    Helmet Collection Helmet CollectionHelmet Collection

Last on the top is a very nice condition early war McCord. This one has an early Westinghouse liner with rayon webbing. Save for the liner sweatband, the helmet is in fantastic condition. The helmet and liner are also both named to "Lange".
    Helmet Collection Helmet Collection Helmet Collection

Starting the second row is very excellent conditon late war Schlueter. Outside of some minor storage scuffs the shell is nearly in mint condition and the liner is in nearly perfect condition. The napestrap and chinstrap were both added by me to finish the set.

to the right is another late 50s/early 60s USMC set. This one is a set I put together with a 1953 blue anchor cover.

Moving on is a mid WWII FB. The helmet and liner are both named to "Smith, G.A". Based on the name I believe this one is either USN or USCG
    Helmet Collection

Last in the second row is a RS/SB Schlueter. I believe this one to be KW era. On either side of the helmet is an upside down red triangle with a blue T in the center. I've not been able to identify these markings
    Helmet Collection

Up first on the 3rd row is a very salty FB Schlueter with shore party markings on the front/rear. This is my only helmet without a liner as the inside is rusted to the point that it will not easily accept one
    Helmet Collection

Next is a FS/SB McCord with an overpainted NCO bar. This helmet has seen a lot of use with the post WWII chinstraps being field repaired at some point. I've paired this helmet with a KW era 5th ID NCO liner.

Next are two of my M1917A1s. Both of these helmets are from the McCord production run rather than being a refurbished M1917. The one on the left has a camo paint job that appears to be on top of a blue repaint. It also has the last name "Brown" painted under the rim. The other M1917A1 has red Captain's bars painted on the front. The chinstrap is named to a "Robert Price". I may have a partial ID on this one but I don't have enough to be sure.

On the bottom row we start with an early war FS/FB McCord. I believe this helmet to have a war time repaint. The J hook is tied on to the chinstrap. Overall this one has a nice look.
    Next is my M3 Flak helmet. Outside of a dent near the crown it's in fantastic condition, retaining almost all of the original paint and 95% of the original flocking.

Finally there are my two M1917s. The first is named to Carroll Clifford Stander, a Wagoner in the Medical Department, 339th Ambulance Co., 310th Sanitary Train, 85th Division. I don't have enough of Mr. Stander's records to come up with a definitive reason why the helmet has the III Corps insignia on it, but it's possible he transferred do a unit under the III Corps at some point during his service.
    Helmet Collection

The other M1917 is unfortunately missing its liner but still retains its chinstrap.

- - ------- - -

Next up is one of my side displays

Helmet Collection

The top row consists of a RS/SB Schlueter with taped captains bars/follow me stripe. I'm not 100% on the originality of the markings on this one but it still displays well.
    Next is a post KW era helmet. The helmet is named on the inside to Billy L. Colvert (RA 14363494) and then to Theodore R. Clinkscale (RA 15266720). Mr. Colvert served in the Korean War as a private. From my research I believe Mr. Clinkscale was a Spec/5 in Battery A, 21st Artillery during Vietnam. The AAD death files lists him as passing away on January 29th 1964. I'm not entirely sure what the marking on the front is, but it seems to be obscured by Mr. Clinkscale using his laundry stamp.

Last one on the top is a late WWII McCord with double J hook. This helmet came with a post KW liner with a 78th ID decal on it. I've added a canadian two tone net for display.

Second row consists of a 50s era M1C. Due to it being painted red I believe this was may have been used as a cherry jump helmet.

Next is a front seam, manganese rim swivel bail Schlueter navy helmet. The liner is KW era with a VN era sweatband.

Last are my two Vietnam era helmets. The one on the left came to me as a set and consists of all 1965 or earlier parts. The one on the left is a set I put together with a liner given to me by a friend.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet Collection   Helmet Collection  

Helmet Collection   Helmet Collection  

Next up is one of my side displays

Helmet Collection

The top row consists of a RS/SB Schlueter with taped captains bars/follow me stripe. I'm not 100% on the originality of the markings on this one but it still displays well.
    Next is a post KW era helmet. The helmet is named on the inside to Billy L. Colvert (RA 14363494) and then to Theodore R. Clinkscale (RA 15266720). Mr. Colvert served in the Korean War as a private. From my research I believe Mr. Clinkscale was a Spec/5 in Battery A, 21st Artillery during Vietnam. The AAD death files lists him as passing away on January 29th 1964. I'm not entirely sure what the marking on the front is, but it seems to be obscured by Mr. Clinkscale using his laundry stamp.

Last one on the top is a late WWII McCord with double J hook. This helmet came with a post KW liner with a 78th ID decal on it. I've added a canadian two tone net for display.

Second row consists of a 50s era M1C. Due to it being painted red I believe this was may have been used as a cherry jump helmet.

Next is a front seam, manganese rim swivel bail Schlueter navy helmet. The liner is KW era with a VN era sweatband.

Last are my two Vietnam era helmets. The one on the left came to me as a set and consists of all 1965 or earlier parts. The one on the left is a set I put together with a liner given to me by a friend.

And finally my other side display.

Helmet Collection

Ignoring the stahlhelm, up first is an early WWII Firestone liner named to a Captain "Giddings". It has a very nice double wire sweatband in it and has obviously seen a lot of use.
    Next up is a KW era M1C. The shell itself is a late WWII manufactured M1C with a rigger made liner. The liner is named to a "Sgt. Carlson"
    Last on top is a very nice Hood Rubber liner. Unfortunately the original chinstrap is stuck in place on this one.

On the next row is a 50s era Aggressor helmet named to "Oliver M Welch"

In the middle is a FS/FB Schlueter. I've paired this one with a nice Inland liner. The liner was used during the 50s and has a follow me stripe in tape on the rear. It is stamped "719 AAA" likely indicating use by the 719th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Gun Battalion.

Next is a late WWII McCord. The helmet has been repainted black but there are signs of red markings underneath the black.

Last but not least is my St. Clair Liner. I found this one for cheap in a surplus store and overall it is in nice condition.

These last few are items that I don't have on prominent display due to lack of space. I've also included the Aggressor helmet as the previous picture doesn't show it off well.

Helmet Collection

To the left of the aggressor helmet is a lat war IMP liner. This one saw used as a Shore Patrol liner post war. It's hard to see in pictures but there are SP decals underneath the white.
    To the right of the aggressor helmet is a 51/52 dated Capac that has a decal for the 579th Engineer Battalion on each side.
    Next is a very nice inland liner with a fantastic double wire sweaband used at some point by the California Cadet Crops.
    And last up is my example of a M1917 that was refitted as a M1917A1.

If anyone has questions/wants to see more pictures of anything I've shared I'm more than happy to share!

Too many helmets to comment on! So I’ll just say it’s a lovely collection. I dig the cabinet in the first display. Very nice display indeed. A lot of KW as well. KW helmet sets are underrated! I have a couple myself. Posted here. Thanks for sharing.

MAP
    ?

Very nice collection. I had to do a Google search to learn what an aggressor helmet was.

Scratching my head though...I know I've seen your first photo in post #1 before. Just can't remember where.......
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Bravo Nick!!! I’m so glad you posted your fine collection and very well explained. I’m not sure which ones I like the most but the Smith helmet is one of them, the USS San Francisco is iconic and I really like the AEF Stander helmet.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by PaddyD00 View Post
    Too many helmets to comment on! So I’ll just say it’s a lovely collection. I dig the cabinet in the first display. Very nice display indeed. A lot of KW as well. KW helmet sets are underrated! I have a couple myself. Posted here. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you! I'd like to set up the whole collection like I have in the first picture but unfortunately I lack the room to do so currently. One day though!

And you're right on the KW helmets, they're very underrated in my opinion.

Quote by MAP View Post
    Very nice collection. I had to do a Google search to learn what an aggressor helmet was.

Scratching my head though...I know I've seen your first photo in post #1 before. Just can't remember where.......
    The aggressor helmets, and the history behind the aggressor nation in particular, are very interesting. It's unfortunate that my example is not in the best condition but it's still a very unique piece. Here are a few pictures from a 1956 5th ID yearbook of them in use.

I had originally posted the first photo in post #1 in my introduction thread after Marty had suggested I share my collection here.

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Bravo Nick!!! I’m so glad you posted your fine collection and very well explained. I’m not sure which ones I like the most but the Smith helmet is one of them, the USS San Francisco is iconic and I really like the AEF Stander helmet.

Marty
    Thank you Marty, it was my pleasure to share them! If I had more room on the top shelf the Smith helmet would be right up there as well. It's just an overall solid helmet and I'm a sucker for an original, matching set!

Welcome and can i start by saying what an amazing collection you've amounted but even more so, impressed by the fact you've achieved all this in such a relatively short space of time,so many fantastic examples of US history and also the time you've taken to research so many of the items.especially luv all those M2's that add so much to the overall collection.top stuff indeed...

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Welcome and can i start by saying what an amazing collection you've amounted but even more so, impressed by the fact you've achieved all this in such a relatively short space of time,so many fantastic examples of US history and also the time you've taken to research so many of the items.especially luv all those M2's that add so much to the overall collection.top stuff indeed...
    Thank you! All I can say is that after my first couple of helmets I got bit by the collecting bug hard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast