Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

A Helmet that Landed in Holland

Article about: Hi, I was in my next door neighbors garage setting her sprinkler timer when I noticed a helmet sitting on a shelf. Whose helmut, I asked! She said it was her husbands when he landed aboad a

?

Default A Helmet that Landed in Holland

Hi,

I was in my next door neighbors garage setting her sprinkler timer when I noticed a helmet sitting on a shelf. Whose helmut, I asked! She said it was her husbands when he landed aboad a glider in the Netherlands.

Well, that's interesting....may I see it? What's with the hole I asked? She said a piece of shrapnel hit his helmet and knocked him out for a day or so. His only visible injury was a badly cut up ear and they said they were going schedule surgery to repair it, but they never got around to it so they sent him back to his unit and the battle. I asked if I could borrow it to take some pictures....she said sure....and here they are:

I discovered that he was a member of the 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division that landed in Holland during Operation Market Garden. I only seen him once with a 82nd Airborne hat on.....he never talked about it! Damn!

John

MAP
    ?

Ģreat story and lid. Must have been tough returning it...
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Wow....a Great Helmet with an even Greater History to it! Tell her to write your name in her Will! lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Ģreat story and lid. Must have been tough returning it...
    Yes, in a way......I have know them for 40 years and I wish I could have asked him about his experiences.....he died about 3 years ago and his wife is 93 but still drives.

John

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Wow....a Great Helmet with an even Greater History to it! Tell her to write your name in her Will! lol
    I posted the pictures on FB and The Gettysburg Museum of History saw it and wanted to talk to her about it....she said no thanks, she has two daughters that want it kept. The Museum was interested in it because they currently have an Operation Market Garden display. One of the daughters has a section of the glider fabric that he kept and all of the men signed....cool, like to see that!

John

MAP
    ?

Quote by NTSOS View Post
    I posted the pictures on FB and The Gettysburg Museum of History saw it and wanted to talk to her about it....she said no thanks, she has two daughters that want it kept. The Museum was interested in it because they currently have an Operation Market Garden display. One of the daughters has a section of the glider fabric that he kept and all of the men signed....cool, like to see that!

John
    Awesome...you should talk to her and maybe have them "loan" it to the museum. A good way to educate others while at the same time keeping it in the family. Plus sitting in a garage is not the best environment.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Awesome...you should talk to her and maybe have them "loan" it to the museum. A good way to educate others while at the same time keeping it in the family. Plus sitting in a garage is not the best environment.
    I know, think it would be a nice way of honoring her husband's service and a lot of people would get to see it in person.

It has been sitting on a shelf unprotected for all of these years. I wrapped it tightly in a new garbage bag and placed it back on the shelf....where unfortunately, no one will see it for a while.

John

Quote by NTSOS View Post
    I know, think it would be a nice way of honoring her husband's service and a lot of people would get to see it in person.

It has been sitting on a shelf unprotected for all of these years. I wrapped it tightly in a new garbage bag and placed it back on the shelf....where unfortunately, no one will see it for a while.

John
    Depending on location, wrapping it tightly in a garbage bag may not be the best idea for it's preservation.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Depending on location, wrapping it tightly in a garbage bag may not be the best idea for it's preservation.
    Ralph.
    Hi Ralph,

Ok, it's located in the Santa Clara Valley of CA. What would you suggest....I thought I was doing good just by keeping the dust off of it.

Thank you!

John

Quote by NTSOS View Post
    Hi Ralph,

Ok, it's located in the Santa Clara Valley of CA. What would you suggest....I thought I was doing good just by keeping the dust off of it.

Thank you!

John
    Hi John,
    Not sure as I live considerably north of there. It actually looks to be kept fairly well considering. Wait for others who collect helmets to add their opinions.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast