Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help in dating a liner

Article about: Hello gents; I have a Westinghouse liner which, by the suspension folded pleats, should be an early production; but it bears also green "A" washers instead of the unpainted ones. I

Default Help in dating a liner

Hello gents; I have a Westinghouse liner which, by the suspension folded pleats, should be an early production; but it bears also green "A" washers instead of the unpainted ones. It comes with a green painted leather chinstrap and is paired with a Mc Cord shell, 596B lot (July '43?).
    Could you please tell me the approximate production timeframe of this liner?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help in dating a liner   Help in dating a liner  

Help in dating a liner   Help in dating a liner  

Help in dating a liner  

I am sure Jake or Ian will know and maybe later clarify, to me it looks refurbished, i may be totally wrong though.

After October 1942 they gradually stopped turning in the ends and saved themselves nearly 2 million meters of suspension but with yours having the green A-washers puts your liner to around early 1943 and may I add you have a lovely lid

Quote by greatwhite View Post
    I am sure Jake or Ian will know and maybe later clarify, to me it looks refurbished, i may be totally wrong though.
    Thanks but Jake knows all this off the top of his head he's the master, I still have to look in my books from time to time

Thanks for your kind reply 👍

This is a bit of a head scratcher to be honest,the shell + Liner show the same amount of wear,the shell chinstraps are really good so is the HBT webbing and sweatband and nape however A- the olive washers show extensive wear and would expect to see more wear throughout the inside of the Liner,plus as O/D washers really started some 4-6 months after the turning in ends of the headband was phased out i've never seen O/D washers so its really not a straight forward case,the rivets look old which is a good thing,maybe just an oddity on the production line?but this is certainly the first example i've seen setup like this,but looks a great matching set condition wise.that's about the best opinion i can really give at this time.

Hi Jake do you have the book Helmets of the ETO? The book states after October 1942 that they stopped turning in the ends of the HBT, but if you look at the flow chart for the liners there is an overlap that runs into early 1943 where the turned in HBT has these green painted A-washers. I have a beat up semi relic M1 with a westy liner that has the turned in HBT and green A-washers. I will post it up tomorrow

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    This is a bit of a head scratcher to be honest,the shell + Liner show the same amount of wear,the shell chinstraps are really good so is the HBT webbing and sweatband and nape however A- the olive washers show extensive wear and would expect to see more wear throughout the inside of the Liner,plus as O/D washers really started some 4-6 months after the turning in ends of the headband was phased out i've never seen O/D washers so its really not a straight forward case,the rivets look old which is a good thing,maybe just an oddity on the production line?but this is certainly the first example i've seen setup like this,but looks a great matching set condition wise.that's about the best opinion i can really give at this time.
    Here is my one for comparison and she's been through a tough old time. Westinghouse liner with turned in HBT suspension fixed in place with green A-washers and has a very rusty double wire leather head band. The helmet is a front seam fixed bale McCord helmet heat stamp # 366A (November 1942). The helmet is missing the chin strap that had the J hook .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help in dating a liner   Help in dating a liner  

Help in dating a liner  

Nice, and for sure untouched 👍 Do you think the liner's lot code (D --) could help? I mean, are these codes related in some ways to the production period? I would check mine.

Quote by ziomanno View Post
    Nice, and for sure untouched 👍 Do you think the liner's lot code (D --) could help? I mean, are these codes related in some ways to the production period? I would check mine.
    I think that the D with the number is an ID number for the mold that pressed this liner. The best way is to look at the parts that are fitted and use the guides in books to approximate a date

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast