Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help Identifying M1 Paint Job

Article about: Hi. Newbie here so apologies for any errors and omissions..... I recently bought a fixed loop M1 that was at some stage painted silver, with a large, cross painted across the top, and the re

Default Help Identifying M1 Paint Job

Hi.

Newbie here so apologies for any errors and omissions.....

I recently bought a fixed loop M1 that was at some stage painted silver, with a large, cross painted across the top, and the remnants of something red on the front. There is also some kind of lettering (maybe an "H") in there somewhere on the rear(tried to capture it in the photos). Just wondering whether anyone could assist with identifying whether this is period paintwork (and if so, what it is), or later.

One photo attached; will try to upload more but I'm struggling to figure out how to do it at the moment as it just seems to fail!

Any help appreciated. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Identifying M1 Paint Job  

Are you a collector Deuce? Welcome to the forum Certainly looks like a US Navy M1 to me, as for the silver paint work never seen anything like that before so personally I don't think it's been done by the navy. There maybe other lettering under the silver paint as the navy did mark there helmets with various lettering depending on the areas of the ship it belonged. More pics would be good when you can

I agree looks like a navy to me. I would myself get the silver off to see all of the gray paint and lettering.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Hi Red,

Thanks!

I'm interested in the period and have a few bits and bobs but seem to have bought a few M1's recently without realising it! Here is the front.

It's a front seam M1 so it's a WW2 period helmet. Are the chinstrap bales swivel or fixed? Look for the heat stamp number under the front inside of the helmet

And the top - you can see the H is evident both at the front and the back. How best to remove just the silver paint if that's the way to go? I think Nitromors would remove the lot......

Heat stamp is "50B 2" and is fixed loop/bail.

A very nice early McCord helmet with that heat stamp number which dates it to around December 1941 to January 1942

I've had some experience with removing glossy overpaints on British helmet with good success. With US Navy M1s they were originally painted with the factory olive drab green and then would have been repainted once in the hands of the navy. I would consult others on what's best to do. I know a lot on here would say leave it be but if you have to then get best advice before going a head

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast