Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with M-1 Helmet Markings?

Article about: Does anyone have any idea what the “AB-13” on the front of this M-1 might signify? The shell itself is a rear seam Schlueter. The inside OD paint looks to be original and the outside white l

Default Help with M-1 Helmet Markings?

Does anyone have any idea what the “AB-13” on the front of this M-1 might signify? The shell itself is a rear seam Schlueter. The inside OD paint looks to be original and the outside white looks like it is the only coat of paint that has been sprayed over the original OD paint making me think it was painted white shortly after issue. Its salty condition makes me think it was a Navy issue but I’ve tried not to hang on to that idea too tight as it might be leading me in the wrong direction as to what the AB-13 stands for. The red paint, on the front visor I do not believe was intentional, looks more like overspray from when the “AB-13” stencil was applied.

I don’t think the white paint on this shell was to designate it as a medic’s helmet or MP, it lacks other markings that would typically be associated with both of these. Korean War Camo helmets were white but I don’t think they were painted in the same manner as this shell was. It could however indicate Safety or Quality Control personnel.

A few ideas I have had:

AB = Crane Ship so maybe part of a ship yard force? No USN Crane Ship was designated AB-13

AB = Advanced Base – WWII USN

AB = Aviation Boatswains Mate but why would it be numbered?

AB = Carrier Air Wing CVW-1 (Fin Flash) but again why would it be numbered and would an air crew member wear an M1 on the flight deck? I don’t know what they wore but this helmet was around before the current style cranial was around.

AB = Air Base

I read someplace the USS Akutan was designated AB-13 but that ship dates back before this helmet.

I thought this was going to be an easy one but I’m stumped. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Russ
    Last edited by MySonsDad; 09-22-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Default Re: Help with M-1 Helmet Markings?

Add to the list of things that the AB-13 might be:

AB = Attack Boat

AB I believe was a class of Harbor Tug Boat

And AB-13 was the designation of the US Coast Guard Cutter Sentinel but I think that far pre-dates this helmet.
    Last edited by MySonsDad; 09-24-2011 at 01:36 AM.

Any ideas???

?

Since it's white, it's likely Coast Guard or a Hospital Ship helmet. As for the AB, it could signify anything from a ship hull number to a rack location number for storage between uses. When it comes to the Navy and Coast Guard, there was no ryhme or reason behind the numbers and letters used since, these markings were designated by individual commanders on each ship and left to his discretion as to the way he wanted it done. Not much help but, such is the plight of ocean going M-1's.

Aft-Battery 13?

Thanks guys, that's kind of the conclusion I have come to, was just hoping someone might have seen this specific marking and knew it's origian.

The one thing I am really liking about this lid is that it does appear to have only been painted this one time, unlike so many Navy M-1s that have 4-5 coats of paint, over the years, leading me to believe that, what ever these markings are, they are of WWII origin.

Still have not figured out what the AB-13 stands for but I picked up another lid just like the other!

?

Probably used for guard duty during basic training belonging to Army Barracks 13? Most facilities were numbered also. Could also be a cadre's helmet, Armor Battalion, 13th Div. Reg. etc. I have a red helmet with HQ-42 which was used by shooting range NCO's . I have also seen them in white and yellow depending on their job description and responsibilities.