Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Help! M1 Assistance

Article about: Right guys, I need some help identifying two M1 helmets. The first one is the one photographed with the plastic liner. It is smooth on the outside of the metal bit, and the helmet liner itse

Default Help! M1 Assistance

Right guys,

I need some help identifying two M1 helmets.

The first one is the one photographed with the plastic liner. It is smooth on the outside of the metal bit, and the helmet liner itself is green. There are no markings in the helmet liner I can find, but stamped under the front rim is LS 827

The second one is more interesting. I am not quite sure what material the lining is, but it has a leather chin strap and leather padding. A stamp near the crown reads US20. The steel helmet itself has no markings I have found, but on the chinstrap on the ball part that clips in is what appears to be a little anchor stamp. The outside of the helmet is matt and rough, almost like sandpaper. A bit of background on this one; I brought it nearly 15 years ago in a Thai market, at a stall where there was lots of other US militaria. It was in a US choc-chip helmet cover, but this was ill fitting and probably an addition from the seller.

Any help on IDing these helmets would be much appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help! M1 Assistance   Help! M1 Assistance  

Default Re: Help! M1 Assistance

The second helmet, I've just found, has 2363 stamped inside the actual steel pot.

the first helmet is a Dutch M53. The steel shell was produced by Linnemann & Schnetzer in Ahlen Germany in july 1982: LS 82 7. The liner will have it own markings and was probably produced by some other producer. L&S was a major producer for the Dutch. These helmets were in use from 1953 till phased out in the mid nineties.

About the second one I have no clear opinion. But not Dutch and not US (looking at the liner) might be Thai.

Cheers,
    Emile

I thought the anchor symbol on the steel pot chin strap and the US20 marking on the liner would have made it a US one?

Thanks for your help on the Dutch one, I thought it might be something like that as I picked it up in Europe.

Quote by BritishHelmetSeller View Post
    I thought the anchor symbol on the steel pot chin strap and the US20 marking on the liner would have made it a US one?

Thanks for your help on the Dutch one, I thought it might be something like that as I picked it up in Europe.
    it is a probably a US helmet that was modified and used by a foreign country, VN M1966 style liner has a leather chin strap added, and the leather headband looks non US, probably a mixture of US & foreign parts hobbled together.

the anchor marked hardware is definitely of US origin, the US sold lots of surplus helmets to other countries and also given as military aid.

I'm with the other guy's ,a mix of US and foreign, and I too believe the second might be Thai (Royal Thai Army -M1 clone)

Nice collectable pieces regardless of origin

Would the US20 in it mean it was originally US issue?

Reason I ask is that although it was bought in Thailand, it was bought at a market stall that had a lot of Vietnam war memorabilia, US & Thai, and was wondering if it was of the same kind used there?

Quote by BritishHelmetSeller View Post
    Would the US20 in it mean it was originally US issue?

Reason I ask is that although it was bought in Thailand, it was bought at a market stall that had a lot of Vietnam war memorabilia, US & Thai, and was wondering if it was of the same kind used there?
    the US20 marking is a post WWII US helmet liner marking

yes, it was originally a US issue liner that the Thais used and reworked / reused.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help! M1 Assistance