Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Help with M1 Liner Stencil

Article about: Hello all, My kid spotted this M1 liner, while we were strolling through a local antique shop this weekend. Looks to me to be a fairly complete WWII liner, it has the Westinghouse mark on th

Default Help with M1 Liner Stencil

Hello all,

My kid spotted this M1 liner, while we were strolling through a local antique shop this weekend.

Looks to me to be a fairly complete WWII liner, it has the Westinghouse mark on the inside crown. The leather chin strap was also included, in a plastic bag, as it is in pretty rough shape.

What caught my attention is the stencil on the front. Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Looks to me like maybe a Machinest Mate CPO (Cheif Petty Officer) marking. Was this a typical thing to do?

And yes, that's a crack in the liner Looks like it was stored with stuff stacked on top of it and caused it to crack. Does not show in the inside but does on the outside. Was almost a prefect liner.....oh well.

Russ

?

Default Re: Help with M1 Liner Stencil

It is a Navy chief machinist's mate insignia.
    SteveR

Thanks Steve, I was 99% sure that it was a CPO MM insignia but that didn't register in my head until this morning as I was not putting to top arc piece together with the three chevrons. It kinda struck me what it was as I was writing the thread.

Thanks again,

Russ

?

No problem friend.
    SteveR

Sorry for dragging this old thread up but I've got a new question regarding this, what seems to be a CPO MM marking on this liner.

By the slightest of chances, could this possibly be a 1st class MM marking and the arc across the top signifying "Navy Beach Battalion" or is that just way wishful thinking on my part?

Thoughts, comments, gut busting laughter?

Russ