Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with new purchase

Article about: I purchased anothet M1 helmet today, it came with a Westinghouse liner with steel A Washers and helmet studs , OD3 triple weave HBT, an OD7 adjustable double weave HBT nape strap with a gree

?

Default Help with new purchase

I purchased another M1 helmet today, it came with a Westinghouse liner with steel A Washers and steel liner chinstrap studs , OD3 triple weave HBT, an OD7 adjustable double weave HBT nape strap with a green brass buckle and black coloured brass studs and a OD7 sweatband.

I can just about make out The word Steel and the letters DSA on the sweatband.

The outer shell appears to be a late WW2 rear seam, cork finish with swivel bales however there is no heat stamp visible due to very very minor corrosion inside the shell. The chinstraps are not original and there two different types fitted which I think are non reproduction. The clasp on one side is black coated steel while the buckle on the other side is brass with one side black and the other side with what appears to have some green paint on it.

So here's some areas where I would require some help:

I think the shell is McCord what do you think?

I think the sweatband is 60's issue due to the markings and the weave which is not HBT it is marked with the following name J Vega and number 1814185. No luck tracing what appears to be a service number, anybody have any information or ideas about it?

What about the chinstrap clasp and buckle?

Pictures attached, new to the game so opinions appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with new purchase   Help with new purchase  

Help with new purchase   Help with new purchase  

Help with new purchase   Help with new purchase  

Last edited by Jimir; 01-21-2018 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes

Based on your photos attached, which are a little tough to analyze, I do not think it is McCord. Came to this conclusion because the Mccords I've seen usually have a slightly different paint finish and straps are usually a tan color. However, it is still a good late wwii helmet with nice paint. Also, the late war helmets have a blackened brass buckle, which is the case here. The liner looks wwii for sure.

?

Here's some more photo's hopefully they are a lot clearer than the last pics.

You can see that the inside of the helmet has some mild rust, the masking tape is marking out the area where I suspect the heat stamp would have been but unfortunately I can't see any traces of it.

Anybody any idea about the possible service number written on the sweatband, 1814185? The sweatband is 60's era so the helmet might have been reissued at some stage.

Help with new purchaseHelp with new purchaseHelp with new purchaseHelp with new purchaseHelp with new purchase