Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Help with service number on post ww2 liner

Article about: Does any here have any website I can go to research a ww2 service number? I know how to find ww2 information but I am having trouble with post ww2 ones. I asked the same question on a us mil

Default Help with service number on post ww2 liner

Does any here have any website I can go to research a ww2 service number? I know how to find ww2 information but I am having trouble with post ww2 ones. I asked the same question on a us military forum site with zero response.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Help with service number on post ww2 linerHelp with service number on post ww2 liner

Marty,

Post WW2 information is very challenging to find. Without more information about the Soldier such as date of birth, unit, discharge paper, information is next to impossible to research..

I can't quite make out the name on the band, but if you have the Soldier's name, information may be found on ancestry.com or Fold3...

Smitty

The helmet and liner is said to belong to Lt. Robert Ledbetter chaplain USN I found information on him on ancestry.com and the service number does not match. The helmet came out on North Carolina were the Lt. died. The name in the liner is hard to read.
    Marty

Marty,
    I had a chance to think about this a little more and it occurred to me, that if the liner did belong to an officer, then perhaps his name will be in the US Army Registry and if he graduated from West Point, he would be listed in the West Point Registry. Since you mentioned the helmet belonged to a Naval Chaplain, then the Navy also has registries.

The NARA database may have some information for you..

Not uncommon for parts of helmets to be refurbished and reissued for someone else to use..

If you have a black light, try taking a picture of the name with the black light shining on it and you may be able to make out the name or number. I see the middle initial as "L"??

Smitty

Smitty I will try the black light this afternoon.

Marty,

I hope it works for you...

Smitty

If I don't get back with you right away if you have a question, I am getting ready to head out on the road.. Taking my RV up to the mountains..

Smitty

?

Chaplains entered the services as officers, there would be no need for them to attend West Point or Annapolis as well as physicians and law grads and other graduate degrees.