Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How Accurate is At The Front's D-bale Paratrooper helmet?

Article about: So this is a repost, but on the right forum. I am looking for a display and reenactment piece. I would like to see the experts pick this helmet's inaccuracies apart. This will help me learn

Default How Accurate is At The Front's D-bale Paratrooper helmet?

So this is a repost, but on the right forum. I am looking for a display and reenactment piece. I would like to see the experts pick this helmet's inaccuracies apart. This will help me learn more about US helmets. Thanks!

US WWII M2 Paratrooper Helmet, made in USA | ATF
    ATTACH=CONFIG]1256655[/ATTACH]How Accurate is At The Front's D-bale Paratrooper helmet?How Accurate is At The Front's D-bale Paratrooper helmet?
    Attached Images Attached Images How Accurate is At The Front's D-bale Paratrooper helmet? 

?

Looks fairly accurate, the leather inside on the sweatband is much to light. Looks at some of the other ww2 M1 liner sweatbands, they are much darker. Personally I would try and add some weathering to the set to make it look like it has some more age. But for the price I think it is a good replica. As a real on it a few thousand and rather hard to come by.

What Company do you think made the Shell? What Company would have historically made Shells with fixed D bales?

?

Are you set on owing a D-bail or paratrooper helmet in general? I've sold a few late 40s paratrooper helmets for less than this. But I myself have never had a D-bail.

D-bale because Im looking for Battle of Bulge/Normandy style helmet

?

Well if that's what you're aiming for this is you're best shot. I would personally change the sweatband, but that's up to you since you won't see the inside when displaying it. As for maker, I'm not totally sure who produced the early shell. I know the number of these helmets were limited in production, and many of the bails broke. Many paratroopers in the budge/normandy would have had standard fixed bail helmets and not solely d-bail helmets

Is the only difference the shape of the bale?
    Edit: I have also read older posts where a person claimed to have an original paratrooper helmet and a reply called out the helmet for having a repro helmet strap. How can someone tell?

?

Yes, D bails have a rounded half circle shape. While fixed bails are straight across, no arc. Which strap are you referring to? The actually shell straps or inside of the liner. Either straps takes time and knowledge to be able to spot a fake. Most commonly you can see differences in the stitching in the straps.

Thanks for this info I'll wait for others to reply. Maybe someone can tell who produced the original D-Bale and Standard fixed Bale Helmets

The d-loop helmet was manufactured by McCord. McCord and Schlueter manufactured both fixed and swivel looped helmets.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast