Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How can I recognize a Korean war M1 helmet?

Article about: Hi, all! I'd like to get a Korean war, possibly combat used, helmet, but actually I don't know the difference between a Korean and a Post Korean/Early Vietnam helmet quite well. Can anyone t

Default How can I recognize a Korean war M1 helmet?

Hi, all!
    I'd like to get a Korean war, possibly combat used, helmet, but actually I don't know the difference between a Korean and a Post Korean/Early Vietnam helmet quite well.
    Can anyone tell me how a typical Korean was helmet should be?

NCA
    ?

Default Re: How can I recognize a Korean war helmet?

Im assuming youre talking about an M1 helmet?In that war the US soldiers were using swivel bail helmets of ww2 vintage.Some may have have the T5 quick release chinstraps...Sometimes they have had a dark green repaint.
    Without being handed the helmet by the vetran himself it would be impossible to say for sure if its seen any combat.

I can highly recommend 'postwar helmets' by Mark Reynosa.Loads of good info.

?

Check to see if an old Korean is wearing it.

?

Korean war used M-1s originally were just reissued WW2 M-1s but they did start to produce M-1s again because of this war here mine
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How can I recognize a Korean war M1 helmet?   How can I recognize a Korean war M1 helmet?  

Attached Images Attached Images How can I recognize a Korean war M1 helmet?  How can I recognize a Korean war M1 helmet?  How can I recognize a Korean war M1 helmet? 

Use the forum search button and see the pages of info about these.
    You will learn lots of knowledge from the search.
    If you are thinking of buying one online post the photos before handing over the money.

There are several ways. 1st look at the steel pot. In the rear if it has 4 crimp/weld spots it is a post '44 helmet shell. You should also see some verticle cracks in the back where the steel pot was pushed into the mold. 2nd thing to look at is the fastner of the chin strap. If it has a little ball on it it could be late Korea or early Vietnam. Remember there was less than 25 years between wars. Third thing to look at is the liner and suspension. If all the bands pass through one band like an X then you have a Vietnam era liner. If the liner has a doughnut in the center and the straps are dark green and not HBT weave then you more than likely have a Korean era item. Also check the inside of the liner for marking or stampings. Most of the usable M1's from WWII were used in Korea, Reworked if needed. It is really a complicated estimation of all parts. The next real change of the pot was from Steel to Kevlar. Everything else is small details such as weld marks and chinstraps.

How can I recognize a Korean war M1 helmet?How can I recognize a Korean war M1 helmet?How can I recognize a Korean war M1 helmet?How can I recognize a Korean war M1 helmet?How can I recognize a Korean war M1 helmet?How can I recognize a Korean war M1 helmet?How can I recognize a Korean war M1 helmet?I found these helmets online, I think that all them are Korean war era m1 helmets, but as I said before I would like to get a combat used helmet. Which do you think is the most likely one?
    Thanks you all.

First one is a front seam with T1 hook OD 7 chinstrap , the second shell is front seam with green painted clasps, the last photo is of a rear seam helmet repainted with a gross green paint.

here are some of pictures of my korean war m1 that i think is a good example.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How can I recognize a Korean war M1 helmet?   How can I recognize a Korean war M1 helmet?  

Default Re: How can I recognize a Korean war M1 helmet?

Danny from the pics the liner doesn't look korean?if has front eyelet then it is otherwise post korea,also chinstrap is of 1960's production,whats the heatstamp for the shell?............Jake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast