Become our sponsor and display your banner here

How to remove paint from helmet?

Article about: I got this navy lid. Fortunately the navy paint itself has yellow, grey, and royal blue in traces. However, it's final layer is navy blue which I love. I bought it 75 total with very bad pic

Default How to remove paint from helmet?

I got this navy lid. Fortunately the navy paint itself has yellow, grey, and royal blue in traces. However, it's final layer is navy blue which I love. I bought it 75 total with very bad pictures and believing it was a Navy lieutenant helmet, the liner and helmet looked to have the ensign in grey. Well I got it today and its silver in color and looks relatively new to the rest of the lid. I scratched the helmet ensign and the paint scraped a bit while the navy paint stayed (small trick I use to help determine age, not definate) but the helmet itself I just can't say 100% it's real, in fact I think the LT bars are recent. So should I lightly scrape the pain off, or is there an easier way? And in your opinion should the bars stay? HELP!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	218.5 KB 
ID:	555766Name:  image.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  66.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  63.3 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  62.7 KBClick image for larger version. 

Views:	157 
Size:	220.3 KB 
ID:	555770Click image for larger version. 

Views:	106 
Size:	219.3 KB 
ID:	555771

I think it is supposed to be the rank of Captain, although the 'bars' on the shell are
    too wide. The insignia on the liner is done quite well. ( If you scrape off the white
    rank, there will always be a mark showing - better to go over it with matching
    colour, blending it in with the base coat OD paint ).........
    Regards,

Steve.

nice find ,i wouldnt scrape off the paint though it would be to laborious,and might possibly damage the paint you want to get to ,

?

if you really want to remove it use nail polish remover but in small amounts using cotton buds Ive done this way before & had good results & by the looks of the paint i wouldn't take long to remove it this way.

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/us-m1-...ed-band-28092/

great advice nick ,i wasnt entirely sure what to suggest

ive used thinners before. but try a little bit on a cotton tip first.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna use the nail polish remover first to see if it works, and I have that on hand.

i think nail polish remover will be much the same as thinners just not as strong. but that could be a good. hope it works.

Actually it worked surprisingly well. I still want to run some steel wool over where the emblem was so it looks to be a little more natural to the wear than a square. It did exposť some of the previous battleship grey but if I even it out it should look pretty good. Click image for larger version. 

Views:	92 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	555951Click image for larger version. 

Views:	80 
Size:	232.7 KB 
ID:	555952Click image for larger version. 

Views:	90 
Size:	216.4 KB 
ID:	555953Click image for larger version. 

Views:	79 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	555954

- - Updated - -

Forgot to fix pictures. Sorry for breaking your necks guys.