View Poll Results: Is it worth it ?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 27.27%
  • No

8 72.73%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I'm thinking of buying this helmet on eBay, should I ?

Article about: Dom.....last bit of advice I'm going to give as I'm even sounding like a broken record to myself..... If you want a WWII helmet then sell this one, for what ever you can get on ebay. With th

Default I'm thinking of buying this helmet on eBay, should I ?

I am looking into buying a ww2 Schlueter helmet on eBay, (just the shell), can someone please tell me the difference between a Schlueter & McCord helmet, did the schuleter helmets see any action in ww2? It is $39.00, it is just the shell. So do you think it's worth it ?

Here are some pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I'm thinking of buying this helmet on eBay, should I ?   I'm thinking of buying this helmet on eBay, should I ?  

I'm thinking of buying this helmet on eBay, should I ?   I'm thinking of buying this helmet on eBay, should I ?  

I'm thinking of buying this helmet on eBay, should I ?   I'm thinking of buying this helmet on eBay, should I ?  

Default Re: I'm thinking of buying this helmet on eBay, should I ?

Schlueters did see action. Although they only made something around 2 million of the total 20 million lids produced. Which is why they are generally more sought after. As for the difference, they are slight but there. Different weld marks on the brim. Schlueters being a circle vs a more oval mark from McCords. The bales were shaped slightly different from their McCord cousins as well as the overall shape of the shell itself. Very minute differences. As for this example you bring, I would personally pass on it and wait for a better one. They are still out there, and easy to find.

Quote by HoovieDude View Post
    Schlueters did see action. Although they only made something around 2 million of the total 20 million lids produced. Which is why they are generally more sought after. As for the difference, they are slight but there. Different weld marks on the brim. Schlueters being a circle vs a more oval mark from McCords. The bales were shaped slightly different from their McCord cousins as well as the overall shape of the shell itself. Very minute differences. As for this example you bring, I would personally pass on it and wait for a better one. They are still out there, and easy to find.
    Just to be clear, when looking at a Schlueter helmet from a distance it is identical to the McCord right ? And because it is a front seam Schlueter, does this mean it was made 1943 ?

Also does it look like the original paint & chinstraps ?

Some folks are able to discern the shape from a distance. I've never been able to for some reason. I look for the weld marks, the shape of the bales if it is fixed, also if not buried under paint and wear, the "S" which is stamped into the steel much like the heat lot number. Front seam swivels were introduced in late 43 if I recall, with the rear seam making debut in late 44, November I think. So that would give you a window of a year if we generalize.

Chinstraps.... look original from what I can tell with the pics. However, not in the best condition, and missing the buckle. Paint... looks like the corking has been worn off/removed, and the lid has had a number of repaints. Like I said, I would pass and wait on something better. But that is me.

From the photos, it could be a Schlueter but they photos are not angled real well so I could be wrong. When sitting on a flat surface, the rim of a Schlueter does NOT show a real pronounced arc, on either side of the visor, as does a McCord, but you need better photos or a side by side comparison with a McCord to see yourself. The heat stamp tells the real story, Schlueters have a "S" stamped just above the heat stamp.

As for this particular helmet, I'm with Hoovie and I'd take a pass. It's got pretty doggy post war paint, the chin strap is damaged and it looks to be a bit of a mess. You can pick up Schlueters shells on ebay for $20 in better condition.

The only thing that might make this shell intruging, in my opinion, is if the writing inside could be associated with WWII period soldier.

Good luck, Russ

Russ, the number inside is a RA prefix, which is a "post war" method of numbering, came along in 47 or 48 if I remember.

Quote by HoovieDude View Post
    Russ, the number inside is a RA prefix, which is a "post war" method of numbering, came along in 47 or 48 if I remember.
    Thanks for that bit of info Hoovie, I did see the RA but thought it to be part of a name or something and was also unaware of this being a post war prefix (Regular Army???). I'll make note of that.... Russ

Dominick, might I also suggest, as others have on some of your other threads, that you please start using the forums "Insert Image" tool instead of using outside photo hosting. The tool works just fine and preserves the value of the thread as the photos are not lost once you empty your photo bucket images. Also, you'll get much better response from members as many will not even take the time to open your photo links.....

Regards,

Russ

I have one helmt already, but it's rear seam & I don't know if it's war time, so I think I want to get this helmet because it's a definite ww2 helmet and seems like it saw some action,I'm very much into ww2 and just want something that was definitely in it, I have also a Vietnam helmet liner that I think I will put in it, do you think it will fit? And I also have a netting I might use, Another question: are Schlueter shells the same size (height) as a post war shell ? Or is it the same size of a ww2 McCord shell ?

Dominick, Below is a very informative link regarding WWII period M-1. Please take the time to read through it as it will answer a great number of your questions all in one shot.

Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell

And also as stated on at least one of your previous threads, nothing can assure you that you have a "War Used" helmet other than if it has been ID's to a combat soldier. Of couse, the earlier the helmet is dated the far more likely it is that it did see combat but nothing is for sure without some type of provenance. The late war helmets are a crap shoot at best. I've got a half dozen or better rear seam helmet that I'd bet never saw any type of action in WWII. IF you want to be as certain as possible, look for a Fixed Bale M-1! Russ

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast