Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Italianwarfront!!!!!!

Article about: This guy just sells items that just have that look about them,here's his latest M1 a Camo 1942 Westy with one of the earliest Fixed Bales ever heatstamp just 26B with the early M17A raised B

In Feb 1942 the US Army tested many idea's with the use of Camouflage,HBT Helmet covers,bands for holding foliage etc.In March 1942 M1 Camo Helmet sets started to be produced from existing stocks at McCords and over at the Micarta Divison branch of Westinghouse.between the above date and March 1943 some 854,225 sets were issued,like John said some 300,000 Liners were re-called and repainted olive drab.what happened to all those painted camo steel shells?thats the golden question,I've just got a reply back from Giorgio regarding one of his own Camo painted shells thats on display at the US MILITARIA FORUM and there is a similarity in pattern to these Liners so could his shell be one of those missing shells?who knows for sure.to be honest the liner is where the money's at,on its own I personally dont think the shell would fetch that much and for that amount of cash I would want one in much better conditon and without the hole and weld marks.......$750 would have been a fair price but then again thats ebay for you,rich brainless fools.............

?

Thanks for the replies guys.

I still dont understand the purpose of camouflaging a helmet liner vs the helmet. Its like making a camo jacket and only printing the camo material on the inside. Oh well, the US Army did pay $100,000 for a toilet seat once....

Doug as you probably already know the M1 liner was designed to be worn on its own during training/exercise/parade etc,and as these were aimed at the PTO I guess they thought there men might be slightly safer wearing some sort of camo scheme that might make them less of a target.but like any war inventions and new idea's appear and I guess someone thought this was really good but then realized in a war zone the liner had to be worn inside the steel shell so really it made the whole thing pointless hence why so many were re-called.

Is this the same seller?

ITALIANWARFRONT: US HELMETS
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Who won the helmet and liner?
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

OK, just answered my own question.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

$1284 smackers or £784 sterling ouch..............

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Doug as you probably already know the M1 liner was designed to be worn on its own during training/exercise/parade etc,and as these were aimed at the PTO I guess they thought there men might be slightly safer wearing some sort of camo scheme that might make them less of a target.but like any war inventions and new idea's appear and I guess someone thought this was really good but then realized in a war zone the liner had to be worn inside the steel shell so really it made the whole thing pointless hence why so many were re-called.
    Actually no I did not know that, as I dont collect US helmets other than 3 I have and have never studied them to that kind of detail. Still doesn't make sense to me LOL. Oh well...thanks for the info, I learned something new today so its been a successful day!
    Cheers
    Doug

?

Italian War Front(Giorgio Spadaro) sells a lot of nice stuff but, also feigns ignorance and carefully words faked helmets to give the feeling to a potential buyer that they are getting a possible rare helmet because he quote: "Isn't sure". Giorigio, knows helmets better than 99% of collectors. So, he either knows or does not know, there is no: I don't know, in his vocabulary. He used to have an excellent reputation as the "go to" guy for legit helmets but, he has stained that reputation and he has no one to blame but himself.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3