Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Korean War Era M1

Article about: I've recently picked this one up for very little money. Ive been looking for a decent lid that I could display as a Korean War used piece. There are many out there with liners dated from the

?

Default Korean War Era M1

I've recently picked this one up for very little money. Ive been looking for a decent lid that I could display as a Korean War used piece. There are many out there with liners dated from the Korean War era, but in my opinion (as humble as it is :-) it seems more logical that troops of that era would be using refurbed or unissued WW2 kit that was to hand, rather that the 1952 dated stuff, considering the short period of the conflict, and the length of the supply chain, (assuming that it was a FIFO system?) Comments on this point welcome.
    Anyway, here are some pics. The liner is a WW2 made Firestone example. Well marked but different names on the rear seam pot and liner, so probably not an original pair, and the corked paint seems to have been scraped away (with a chisel?) to create a smoother surface for the Majors insignia. As always with these insignia, who can tell when this was painted? There is also what appears to be grass mixed in with the paint in a small area near the insignia. It looks like it has been painted at least twice in its lifetime. The photos will enlarge quite well.
    All comments welcomed.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Korean War Era M1   Korean War Era M1  

Korean War Era M1   Korean War Era M1  

Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Default Re: Korean War Era M1

Nice helmet,it looks to me as though some of the rank insignia is on top of the original top layer of paint and the rest on the under layer.Do you think the officer had a promotion in the field so "scrapped off his rank and then re-applied his new one?Just a thought.

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Nice helmet,it looks to me as though some of the rank insignia is on top of the original top layer of paint and the rest on the under layer.Do you think the officer had a promotion in the field so "scrapped off his rank and then re-applied his new one?Just a thought.
    Good point, well spotted! I've had a look at the enlarged pic, and could it also be that the insignia was masked before the repaint, then retouched? The top of the "scrape" looks a bit like the imprint of the torn end of masking tape perhaps?

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

nice helmet i like it ! it looks late ww2 to me because it looks like a cork finish so im guessing its when they went to rear seam in 44-45 . and also the chinstraps are sown on which also is a early m1 give away.and i have to agree with andy on the masking tape part it defiantly looks like that ! cheers

nice find andy this one has bags of character and the insignia makes it all the more special regards james

?

Quote by jumpingjank View Post
    nice helmet i like it ! it looks late ww2 to me because it looks like a cork finish so im guessing its when they went to rear seam in 44-45 . and also the chinstraps are sown on which also is a early m1 give away.and i have to agree with andy on the masking tape part it defiantly looks like that ! cheers
    Thanks!
    Yes I agree, but I think that maybe this type of setup would be likely to have still around and used in the Korean War, basically a late WW2 rig with a typical darker "Korean" overpaint, rather than the early 50's made gear which of course would have been there too, as the older kit was gradually replaced. Just my pet theory.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Quote by col james View Post
    nice find andy this one has bags of character and the insignia makes it all the more special regards james
    Thanks James,
    It was on eBay "newly listed" search for about, oh, one minute perhaps....................

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Dont we think in a strange way like trying to fill in the blanks when really we have no answers for our plentiful questions.i agree with andy in certain terms like why did the US sell off so many war lids to our euro cousins then decided to replace old for new on the production line?here's a thought to leave you with in the basement of the Manhattan Museum there is one of the very first prototype M1 shells can you guess what year it was first designed and made answers on a postcard,also at the same time a body armour vest too was created in that same year,regards Dave.

the thing with helmets is they are a mystery hence why i collect them cause you never know where they have been etc so much history with one little shell .cheers

?

I thought I'd bump this one to show something that arrived today. Now I'm pretty sure I saw a thread on one of these somewhere else, so I apologise for that. Soon I'll be archiving most of my collection, so I invested in one of those cheap USB microscopes to help me with the liner maker and pot heatstamps.. For under £20.00 I wasn't expecting much really. This is what I got. Not bad!
    Comments welcome.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Korean War Era M1   Korean War Era M1  

Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast