Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Korean War M1?

Article about: Ok, this is literally making me want to pull my hair out. The other day I got this M1 helmet for \\$45 at a gun show (the actual story is I got the liner for \\$45 and traded the fixed bail that

Exclamation Korean War M1?

Ok, this is literally making me want to pull my hair out. The other day I got this M1 helmet for $45 at a gun show (the actual story is I got the liner for $45 and traded the fixed bail that came with it for Korean War reenacting). The shell is a front seam, which automatically makes it WWII manufactured. However, the paint scheme is what is messing me up. Obviously there were was no one paint scheme, however this is what I would classify as a lime green, so what I'm wondering is whether it's Korean War or Vietnam repaint, and whether the few dark spots I see on it are the original WWII paint. If this is definitely a Korean War repaint, I'm leaving it as is. The inner shell is definitely a more olive color than the outside. The liner looked like it was painted from Vietnam? So I started taking some of it off, and the original olive is showing, however I can not get just the olive as the over-paint is an absolute pain to get off (I used acetone). So overall, what in the world do I have here? I understand this is my first post, so I am sorry if my tone seems rather snappy, but this is really giving me a headache. And I thought German helmets were bad Thanks for any help in advance!

Korean War M1?Korean War M1?Korean War M1?Korean War M1?Korean War M1?Korean War M1?

?

Default Re: Korean War M1?

Welcome to the forum,

Quote by 2ndInfDiv View Post
    $45 and traded the fixed bail that came with it for Korean War reenacting.
    As in, you got a fixed bale with a liner for 45$, then traded the fixed bale for a different shell?
    Some photos in natural light would help, but in my (amateur) opinion going off the texture, I think it's a Vietnam repaint.

Nitram

hi and welcome,personally i would stay clear of repaints because you dont know exactly when they were done (by military or private)what is it your actually looking to collect korean m1 helmet?>there's loads of liners with original paint on ebay dont be messing with stripping paint a lot of effort in my opinion just get the real deal my friend let me know if you need more info dave

Yes that is correct I traded a fixed bail for a swivel bail. I traded with a good friend and I needed a helmet for reenacting, which is why. I traded because it was Navy with a name etches into it. He wanted it for his collection and I would have just sold it, so we traded when I saw he had a front seam. From what I have found out sand texture was added during Korea.

?

In general fixed bales are rarer than swivel bales, that's why I was rather surprised.

Back on topic, I'd agree with minnie, stripping the paint is a chore and takes away from the helmet's history. If you can take a nice sharp photo of the helmet's texture, it would help figure out what era it's from. If you're in the US than you should have no problem finding a suitable shell on eBay (I saw around 20 shells of various types for sale a few days ago) for 10-20$. Your call really.

Nitram

Yes I know fixed bails are rarer, but I figured it'd do good in my friends collection. I understand I may seem like an idiot for what I did, but it's somewhat complicated to explain. The helmet is a front seam, but I'm trying to determine whether or not the paint scheme is Korea or post-Korea. It does have a sand texture, as shown in the photos. The picture 2nd row left is of the inner shell, like I said earlier, it's a different color from the outer shell. What I would like to know is whether I should continue stripping the liner paint (obviously with a different method) to get to the original WWII paint, or leave it be. Again, like I said, the textured paint on the liner is really hard to get off without taking the WWII paint with it. Thanks for the replies, I need all the help I can get.

Quote by 2ndInfDiv View Post
    Yes I know fixed bails are rarer, but I figured it'd do good in my friends collection. I understand I may seem like an idiot for what I did, but it's somewhat complicated to explain. The helmet is a front seam, but I'm trying to determine whether or not the paint scheme is Korea or post-Korea. It does have a sand texture, as shown in the photos. The picture 2nd row left is of the inner shell, like I said earlier, it's a different color from the outer shell. What I would like to know is whether I should continue stripping the liner paint (obviously with a different method) to get to the original WWII paint, or leave it be. Again, like I said, the textured paint on the liner is really hard to get off without taking the WWII paint with it. Thanks for the replies, I need all the help I can get.
    george theres one big differance between us i do the job because i was trained to you do it because you love it.

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    george theres one big differance between us i do the job because i was trained to you do it because you love it.
    so here's where were are at your liner regardless whether its ww2 vintage or korean has been lets say defaced due to the repaint in nam period.so me personally remove all paint and repaint in olive drab comes in brush or aerosol form.the korean war was a recycle war if it was serviceible then it was used most helmets carried over from ww2 were repainted at supply depots and there was the new run of lids by mccord with the sand texture and the green painted t1 chinstrap hardware.the olive drab used on the liner and shell were only a tiny shade differant to the ww2 paint also the shells were the same molded with dome and visor being no differant except all were rear seamed.hope this has helped dave.

Ok, so I took some pictures of the helmet in natural sunlight. I also compared it to the M1 my neighbor was issued in the 90's I believe. The liner is the last type that was released. The paint was darker, and I noticed some spots on it where it looked like there was possible previous paint. I took these pictures with my iPhone.Korean War M1?Korean War M1?Korean War M1?Korean War M1?Korean War M1?Korean War M1?

?

I'm now sure it's a Vietnam era sand textured repaint. Nice shell, bet it has a few stories to tell.

Nitram

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast