Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Late war M1 Schleuter shell. Opinions?

Article about: Hello all, just picked up this late war rear-seam Schleuter to go with my Firestone liner and everything checks out ok. It retains 90% of its cork finish and the od7 chinstraps are strong an

Default Late war M1 Schleuter shell. Opinions?

Hello all,

just picked up this late war rear-seam Schleuter to go with my Firestone liner and everything checks out ok. It retains 90% of its cork finish and the od7 chinstraps are strong and clean. It does however have quite a bit of what looks like hand-printed block lettering to the front and flank and I'm not sure about it at all.

It looks like names that have been overprinted to cancel them out. I think I can make out Fisher and N.G for example, the rest too obscure. I've never seen this before personally. What are peoples opinion's? Real-deal or someone gone mad with a print set?

I've had a restored Firestone liner for about two years now so it was great to finally put the two together.

Late war M1 Schleuter shell. Opinions?Late war M1 Schleuter shell. Opinions?Late war M1 Schleuter shell. Opinions?Late war M1 Schleuter shell. Opinions?Late war M1 Schleuter shell. Opinions?Late war M1 Schleuter shell. Opinions?Late war M1 Schleuter shell. Opinions?Late war M1 Schleuter shell. Opinions?Late war M1 Schleuter shell. Opinions?

It's interesting to note also, and I'd read this before, that the liners don't fit so snugly in the Schleuter shells as they do in the McCord shells and it's absolutely true.

Thanks for looking,

Ian.

?

Hi Ian, firstly the writing does not appear to be uniform in alignment so I am really not sure about that aspect, but the shell and liner combo are fantastic, it's really great to see a shell with the original finish,so therefore a great example. I agree with you on the shell and liner not fitting nicely from person experience, Schleuter's are slightly different in profile which does seem to affect the liner's fitting! Overall a very nice M1 , congrats.

Regards

Opex

Nice set Ian,this is the shell you messaged me about,thats some serious texture on that lid mate,for some reason that I have noticed on many occasions that late war Schleuter's seem to have really heavy corking compared to McCord made lids of similar time frame,great buy indeed,well done on getting a good'en.............

?

Nice helmet.

Very nice later M-1. timothy

JBR
    ?

Yes, a nice one Ian. I've got a generally similar example with that texture and colour and liners don't quite fit comfortably in mine either - they tend to slip out more readily than in my McCord. I believe this is because both yours and my shell are a Schlueter variation. If you compare them with McCords (those I have come across anyway), they are slimmer and slightly less spherical in form thereby not holding the liner as well. I say a variation because I have another Schlueter which is the opposite - ie slightly broader than a McCord. Liners fit comfortably into this one. Regards, John

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. Ruddersrangers44, yes this was the shell I Pm'd you about. There was a buy-it-now clause in the listing so I went for it incase someone else did!

John very interesting, I didn't realise there were variations in Schleuters. In my McCord the liner slips beneath the two bales quite easily but not so the Schleuter where they seem to sit on top of them. I was thinking a net or a cover would have tightened things up a bit in the field between the shell and the liner.

Anyone seen this printed lettering before on a shell? I can't find any other examples in my brief researches.

Ian.