Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Look What's Under the OD Paint!

Article about: nice lid,right now im going to look stupid but whats the best method for removing top layers like this without removing whats original underneath?cheers dave.

Default Look What's Under the OD Paint!

Picked up this beat up old M-1 a few months back, saw the blue and red under the OD so I thought it might make a good ďFirstĒ attempt at removing the top layer of paint from a shell. The paint removal isnít going so bad and Iíve got enough off that maybe can figure out what we have here.

The shell is a front seam Schlueter with original OD paint on the inside. The red and blue look to be brush painted, as I have found a couple of brush hairs stuck under the paint. The red was applied first and only to the crown. It looks as though it was masked off to give somewhat of a straight edge to where the red and blue come together, but it certainly is not a smooth round line by any means.

First photo is before I started removing paint, the following 3 are after a couple hours of removal. The cork texture is going to be a real pain in the butt, as well as working around the paint chips.....but it's good practice .....

Looks to be a typical Shipboard paint locker paint job. Any ideas what the purpose might be?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1Proj_02.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	293023

Name:	M1Proj_06.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	293022

Name:	M1Proj_05.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	293021

Name:	M1Proj_04.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	293024

Russ

Default Re: Look What's Under the OD Paint!

Here's how the shell looked after about 3-4 hrs of work yesterday......

Name:	M1Proj_09.jpg 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	293484

Name:	M1Proj_07.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	293485

Name:	M1Proj_08.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	293486

Nobody has any ideas what this paint scheme might have been for?

Havenít a clue! but you have done a good job . I would have thought it would have taken longer than that to get the top layer of paint of, well done!
    There are so many different paint jobs on these helmets . This one might be another tough one for anyone to guess at.
    All the best with it.
    Rod

the UN used blue painted m1s early on that or its a navy one

Thanks Rod, yea it went pretty fast at first but the remaining work is going to go SLOOOOOOOOW! I hope to get several hours this weekend to work on it, if any good progress is made I'll snap a few more photos.

KingTigerTank, yes, US was one of my thoughts although I have never seen the blue/red combination on anything and I know the Navy is so typical for "custom" paint schemes so that was my first assumption. I'll keep snooping around until I figure it out...or it will just sit up on the shelf un-identified with a couple others we have.

Russ

?

Could be some sort of Navy helmet with some sort of marking pattern for flight deck or possibly a loading crew member. Perhaps dock workers may have used it also. It could also come from cadre of a particular training site.

Any one of those is a possibility Denfly. I've been doing some digging and have come up with nothing, might be specific to one particular command (ship) and we'll never really know. I looked for UN examples but have yet to find one. I've done quite a bit more work on stripping off the OD paint. It's not done yet but it's starting to come around. I will snap a few photos tomorrow maybe and post.

Russ

Here is where I am at with the OD paint removal. It's getting tough to remove the OD from the valleys of the old texture, I end up doing more harm than good at times. Also, there is so much paint chipping and it is very hard to remove the paint near the edges w/o liberating more paint from the shell. It's been a good exercise though, I've learnd some does and don't that may come in handy on another helmet someday.

Name:	M1Proj_11.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	300686

Name:	M1Proj_10.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	300685

Name:	M1Proj_12.jpg 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	300684

Russ

?

looks good mate i would leave now as you can clearly see what it was.

Thanks Nick, not going to do much more to it.......almost ready to stick up on the shelf (or in the closet..LOL)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast