Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

M-1 Helmet

Article about: Hi All! I picked a helmet today and was looking to see if andbody had a list of heat treatment numbers to help determine when this helmet was made. It is marked I-4455 thanks for looking!

Default M-1 Helmet

Hi All! I picked a helmet today and was looking to see if andbody had a list of heat treatment numbers to help determine when this helmet was made. It is marked I-4455 thanks for looking!M-1 HelmetM-1 HelmetM-1 HelmetM-1 Helmet

I can't tell you the date but it looks to be a Vietnam era helmet.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thanks for the quick response Marty! Do you know of any lists with the heat numbers? And I also really like your helmet on your avatar pic! My Uncle was a F.O. attached to a tank destroyer unit in the ETO

No I am sorry to say I do not have a list. I would say google it, it may take sometime but the information is to be found. Thanks for the thumbs up on my helmet. My grandfather was in the 644th TD what batt. Was your uncle in? Marty

His DD214 shows that he was with the 343rd F.A. Battallion 90th Inf. Div. with 5 stars on his ETO ribbon. And I remember seeing his medal display also had a 2nd AD patch along with the tank. Destroyer patch. The only patches of his that I have are 2 tank destroyers with the 8 wheel variant. My cousin has the rest of his stuff.

Don't let him get rid of thing with out first calling you. My Grandfather also had 5 battle stars, the things they saw and went through...WOW the honor they deserve,and our upmost respect.
    I really want to thank you for sharing about his service. Marty

No such thing i'm afraid,what I can tell you is the shell is an Ingersoll products,chicago illinois,principal Helmet maker of the Vietnam war,making shells between 1965-1967,in total they recieved six contracts,three in 65,two in 66 and one in 67,usually nearly most of these carry anchor stamped chinstraps,as the maker North & judd only stamped them this way during exactly the same time frame as the shells.all Ingersoll shells heatstamps show the same prefix 1-?????.

Hi Jake, thanks for the detailed and informative reply! Did North & Judd only supply chinstraps with the anchor stamp during those 3 contract years?

The whole story on google is fasinating indeed,formed in 1812,Anchor logo used from 1873 onwards on saddlery items including spurs/bits,in the 1930's with the decrease in horse/cart,they were used by the military making items like chinstrap buckles,hardware for field gear,buckles strap metal parts etc,however I've never found any logo's on these items,only the chinstraps as stated seem to have them,after 67 they continued to produce until 71,but the logo was dropped as they merged with gulf and western,so when you see unmarked chinstraps in a dull black finish,remember there still North&judd.