Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

M-3 Flak Helmet

Article about: I posted pics taken with a phone camera a few days ago. My brother-in-law picked it up for me. Never saw it until I took possession today. Now that I have it in hand it is obvious that it ha

Default M-3 Flak Helmet

I posted pics taken with a phone camera a few days ago. My brother-in-law picked it up for me. Never saw it until I took possession today. Now that I have it in hand it is obvious that it has been repainted. Shell only. I'm happy with it as it appears to be an original intact chin strap. It's the first U.S. helmet for me (even though I wore one in the 60's) does anyone with more experience with this type of helmet think it would be worthwhile to find an original liner and install it and if so where I could locate one. I would rather leave it as is than put in a repo. Any help would be welcome. Thanks, John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M-3 Flak Helmet   M-3 Flak Helmet  

M-3 Flak Helmet   M-3 Flak Helmet  

Default Re: M-3 Flak Helmet

Sorry guys forgot to ask opinions on the repaint, could it possibly be period or post war done. I don't think that I want to fool around trying to strip down the first layer of paint as the chin strap is kind of brittle, the snap won,t even come unlocked. Don't want to screw it up. Thanks, John

?

Repaint is probably post war.
    When issued they had a fuzzy surface to keep flesh from sticking to the metal at high altitudes.
    SteveR

I would leave it as is and did your brother in law pick it up at the fort lee arms show because there was one like it at the show? - Nick K

Thanks guys, Nick my brother-in-law lives in Pipersville, Pa and he picked it up in a "junk shop" about five minutes from his house for $80. Thought it was a fair deal. It'll go nice with the ssch36 he picked up for me about 4 months ago.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Repaint is probably post war.
    When issued they had a fuzzy surface to keep flesh from sticking to the metal at high altitudes.
    SteveR
    And to avoid sparks, that could possibly ignite combustibles, especially with the O2 needed at those altitudes.