Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

M1 airborne helmet: Korean era?

Article about: Hello, Since a long time I have possessed this M1 airborne helmet. It belonged to an unit which was garrisoned in the "Rheinkaserne" nearby the river Rhine in Wiesbaden-Biebrich in

Default M1 airborne helmet: Korean era?

Hello,

Since a long time I have possessed this M1 airborne helmet. It belonged to an unit which was garrisoned in the "Rheinkaserne" nearby the river Rhine in Wiesbaden-Biebrich in the 50s/60s(?) and the helmet rested in Germany. May I ask you if there is a way to date the helmet please? Maybe produced 1944/45 with rear seam and clasps of the chinstraps added latter or a post war procuction (Korean era)? By the way it's interessting that the clasps were fixed originaly with light green tape.

Maybe someone knows about an US airborne unit garrisoned in the "Rheinkaserne" at Wiesbaden-Biebrich?

With best wishes
    alter musketier

Last edited by Alter Musketier; 08-25-2013 at 06:22 PM.
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

Some more photos.

In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

Hi, does it have a serial number, stamped on the steel?

Cheers
    Nuno

US Helmets produced through about 1950 had a stainless steal rim, you will often see in photos where it is shiny where the paint is chipped off.

?

looks to be NAM era to me.

Hello,
    No, I didn't found a number stamped inside.
    With best wishes
    alter musketier

Looks like a typical late 1960's Nam era M1c thats been repainted over the Munsell (apple or pea green paint) nothing to add really.

Dear all,
    Thank you very much for your clarification. Maybe someone knows about a way to find out which airborne unit was garrisioned in Wiesbaden-Biebrich, Germany, between 1945 and 1975?
    With best wishes
    alter musketier