Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 Camouflage Helmet Liner

Article about: I recently acquired this M1 helmet liner and I am trying to figure out why it is painted camouflage? Thanks to this site, I know it is a Westinghouse liner. Any help is very much appreciated

Default M1 Camouflage Helmet Liner

I recently acquired this M1 helmet liner and I am trying to figure out why it is painted camouflage? Thanks to this site, I know it is a Westinghouse liner. Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Camouflage Helmet Liner   M1 Camouflage Helmet Liner  

M1 Camouflage Helmet Liner   M1 Camouflage Helmet Liner  

Post war painted, probably by the kids of the soldier to play in the backyard. The same for the US emblem. Great liner expect for the paint.

Pretty good job for kids... thanks for your input

The 'US' DI is from the USAF.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I would like to see close up pictures before passing judgement on the liner. The pin could have been added by a kid.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Looks like a similar jungle camo pattern that was tried in 1942. Here are some pics and details on this courtesy of 'Steel Pots' by Chris Armold. I have spoken to Chris a few times via Facebook and he asked me last time I spoke to him to tell you guys he is cool
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Camouflage Helmet Liner   M1 Camouflage Helmet Liner  

I didn't know that liner camo-ing (is that actually a verb?) was official....thank you. One wonders what uses a camo'd liner would be....surely if one needed to be obscured/hidden they'd be better off under steel than fibre?? The "jungle environment" bit suggests that liners on their own were preferred to the usual pairing with steel...but surely they provided protection only against falling leaves...even big branches could mess things up.

'interesting.........

I would have thought camo-ing the steel shell would have been a better idea

I think most probably painted by someone (not westinghouse) post 1950. Would have been great if it was a westinghouse made jungle liner.
    Like many repainted helmets no one really knows or can prove when or sometimes why they were repainted. we can only make intelligent guess's.
    read somewhere spray cans were invented 1949. (if of coarse it has been painted with cans)
    It looks like a late war liner (black "A" washers?)with what looks like a postwar sweatband.
    Westinghouse jungle liners would have zinc coated "A" washers. as far as I am aware.
    I have a camo'ed liner as well and I had the same problem. could have been anyone/anytime that painted it.
    I like the look of yours, its been well done.
    Wellcome to the forum and remember that these are only peoples opinions and can be a mile out.
    all the best
    Rod
    M1 Camouflage Helmet Liner

Close up pictures of...??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast