Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Capac Liner Paint WWII or not

Article about: Is the paint on this Capac Liner WWII or later?

Default M1 Capac Liner Paint WWII or not

Is the paint on this Capac Liner WWII or later?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Capac Liner Paint    WWII or not   M1 Capac Liner Paint    WWII or not  

M1 Capac Liner Paint    WWII or not   M1 Capac Liner Paint    WWII or not  

M1 Capac Liner Paint    WWII or not  

Default Re: M1 Capac Liner Paint WWII or not

not sure, I bought a viet nam era m-1 & when I pulled the liner out it was glossy black , with a broken white stripe , had MP on front 512 on the side & a unit decal on the other side, some kind of communications unit, like secret , or CIA or something, only found the patch that matched it once, but as soon as the army/navy store gets some od green paint I'm sanding it off & paint it od green

?

is the webbing green or khaki if its green the its 1950's era if khaki then its WW2 as for the paint job it looks to be for civil defense use.

For the most part the webbing is OD green HBT. So it is WWII but late WWII. The liner is certainly WWII and the triangular peices that hold the webbing in are WWII vintage as well.

?

as far as im aware OD green came into use post WW2 & was in use during the Korean war onwards.

?

Quote by NickD View Post
    as far as im aware OD green came into use post WW2 & was in use during the Korean war onwards.
    I'm seeing an added WWII OD3(khaki) nape strap with a post war OD7(green) suspension. The Civil Defense markings are from the Cold War time period. This is a post WWII manufactured liner.

?

Quote by crazy horse View Post
    not sure, I bought a viet nam era m-1 & when I pulled the liner out it was glossy black , with a broken white stripe , had MP on front 512 on the side & a unit decal on the other side, some kind of communications unit, like secret , or CIA or something, only found the patch that matched it once, but as soon as the army/navy store gets some od green paint I'm sanding it off & paint it od green
    CrazyHorse.

With reference to your helmet liner, personally, I wouldnt touch it! From your description, it sounds like you have a genuine marked up US MP helmet liner from the VietNam war.
    As soon as I read your posting, something "clicked" and I have just done a quick check in one of my books, (US Army Uniforms of the Vietnam War by Shelby Stanton; Pub: Stackpole Books, Harrisburg PA: ISBN: 0-8117-1852-2), and section 10.10 describes US MP equipment etc.
    To quote the relevant section:

"Army Military Police wore a gloss black painted helmet liner emblazoned with white 2.25 inch high "MP" letters on front and a painted band, 1.25 inches wide, around the liner. The band was coloured red for divisionaland brigade units; divided blue above red for field force and corps units; divided white above red for Army - level units; and white for other MP units. The coloured bands were usually interrupted on the sides by unit numerical designations on the left, and either distinctive insignia decals or organizational shoulder sleeve insignia decals on the right"

I would therefore suggest that the helmet liner that you have carries the makings of a former MP of the 512th MP Battalion.
    Any chance of a couple of photos of it and the markings mate?

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

PS: Sorry for hijacking the original thread guys.
    Last edited by jimpy; 08-17-2010 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Addition/Grammar