Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

m1 chin strap length question

Article about: question. i have had several m1 helmets, American Nam and ww2, and German now, ...none of them have had chinstraps long enough to connect behind the back of the lid. seems like almost every

Default Re: m1 chin strap length question

I’ve red about this problem before somewhere and one guy thought this might be due to shrinkage with them constantly getting wet then drying and age. Might be a lot of c**p but I suppose it another thought. I mean how much can a strip of material that size shrink
    Also red somewhere that the chinstraps were the same length and that’s why the M2 was introduced so that the paratrooper could attach the chinstrap behind the helmet out of the way and only use the chinstrap cup on the liner. Because of reports that early jumps with fixed bails almost choked the troopers with the up draught. This problem of course was cured when swivel bails were introduced.
    Just what I’ve red
    Rod

?

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    I've only got one Nam era lid with a chin strap and I do admit, it was a bit of a struggle to get it pulled to the back, but the strap was in good shap so we worked with it until we got it.....it didn't just slip right over the rear rim. I've got 2 more Nam lids showing up, hopefully this coming week, I'll let you know if/how easy they fit over the back, when they arrive.
    thanks, to bad there arent any vets on here who can make it clear.

Quote by m1guy View Post
    thanks, to bad there arent any vets on here who can make it clear.
    I have 2 Vietnam Vets in my family, will ask and see what they say.

?

right on sonsdad, you have been a great help; and thanks to all the forum members. Even if they didn't attach at the back, see what was the thing to do back in the day. as for the shrinkage variable, all my m1's have been mint or unissued. no weathering on my pieces.

One other clue to the puzzel is in watching old war footage. Although not conclusive, you do see a number of soldiers, in combat footage, with there M-1 straps hanging. Just by change or possible too short to clip being the shell? As I am sure a dangling chin strap is an annoyance, my money is on the latter.

?

Ive seen allot of chin straps tucked under the foliage helmet band & also tucked up under the camo cover its self or they just let them hang free they weren't all attached around the back of the shell i think they had more to worry about then what to do with their helmet chin straps.

you really need to watch this Vietnam in HD — History.com TV Episodes, Schedule, & Video

I just obtained 2 new VN era helmets, both chin straps are long enough to connect in the back, plus the other I already have.

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    I just obtained 2 new VN era helmets, both chin straps are long enough to connect in the back, plus the other I already have.
    I need to rescind part of my last post......of the two new VN ear M-1's I recently obtained only 1 has a chin strap long enough to attach in the back of the lid, the other is TOO SHORT. I hastely sized them up, when they first arrived, and did not acctually try and clip the chin strap together and put in back. I have since tried and, as stated, one is a bit short, more than just shrinkage I would venture to say.

Russ

?

The chinstrap on my Vietnam era M1 fits over the back, it's tight but it fits. However I tucked both ends under the foliage band based on pictures I've seen. Partly it's for a certain authenticity and partly because I don't want to strain the straps. After all when in service it didn't matter much whether the helmet was knocked around. It had a job to do and only had to last as long as the soldier needed it. But now it has to last many years as a collectors item. Not only that it's old now and not as supple as it once was. It's the same with my WW2 era M1s except I leave the straps loose. The both fit just fine though.

?

Show off your Vietnam Helmet Graffiti

this is a thread titled "Show off your Vietnam Helmet Graffiti" it has a perfect example if an original nam era m1 with straps to short to secure around the back. the link is above, the post is from "mk1rceme". as you can see he has some kind of gadget that is closing the 1 inch gap and connecting the straps. this is the exact distance all the nam m1's ive had would not reach. im yet to know if this was made by him or the soldier who wore the helmet. it would be cool to know, but no way it was issued by the US military.

-while pondering this i realized this gadget connecting the gap could easily be accomplished with a Frag Grenade pin! it looks almost identical to the pin in the picture. not only would that do the job, these were very available durring the war and is very similar to the thing in the picture!---- if you want your straps to fit around back and they dont fit, i think this is the coolest alternative! wel i do at least. let me know what you guys think.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast