Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M1 Evaluation

Article about: It looks like one - but it is not. 'Talker' cups are elongated. ( Doesn't belong on the helmet anyway ! ) If it were me, I would give it a good bath.........

Default Re: M1 Evaluation

It looks like one - but it is not. 'Talker' cups are elongated.
    ( Doesn't belong on the helmet anyway ! )

If it were me, I would give it a good bath.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by HoovieDude View Post
    The chin strap reminds me of the Naval Talker helmet version?
    That is what I think it is, and these were not used with M1 steel pots.

I think HoovyDude has it right on the chin strap, was my thought before I read the commnets. I have one in my hand and it looks near identical, with the springs exchanged for what ever leather device the helmet owner replaced with.

?

Thanks for the info lads. I'll give the helmet a good clean once it arrives, and post an update.

Nitram

Quote by Nitram View Post
    Could it be a (highly unlikely) field mod? It looks like it's been put together like that a while.

You'll be able to better determine once you get it in your hands and make a closer inspection. Looks to be a rear seam (possibly a Schlueter?). If in fact it can be determined that the chin strap is that of a Talker Helmet and the shell can be dated WWII then it would not be an unlikely senario that some sailor replaced his tattered M-1 chin strap with one of those cool ones his buddy had. On the long shot that this could be the case, I'd leave the helmet as is.

?

Thumbs up Re: M1 Evaluation

It's arrived, taking a close look at it, I think it's a post war manufacture.
    Heat stamp is 7371, and it also has an ink stamp of some sort which seems to read 07, anyone know the meaning of this? I tried to fit in a a Belgian Liner, just to see how it fits, and the back of the shell came short compared to the liner (last picture), I read somewhere that this is the main difference between WWII and Nam era shells, am I correct?

M1 Evaluation
    M1 Evaluation
    M1 Evaluation
    M1 Evaluation

The chinstrap is indeed one off a Talker helmet, where these still in use in the era? They look like they've been together a while.

I'm going to treat the leather as it's rather dry and feels fragile. Any opinions on weather to keep the shell salty or give it a nice clean?

Nitram

Hi Nitram,

Have a look at this link. It might be a Swedish/German strap? Sueco Talker MÂș 59

Cheers,
    Emile

?

I don't think so Emile, the Swedish/German ones seem to have little rivets holding the ends of the adjustable straps on, while the ends here are sewn together.

These are the rivets I refer to:

I'll post detailed pictures of the chinstrap once it's cleaned up. It's a dark colour atm; black almost. Not sure if that's the age or it was issued like that; or if someone went over it with black dye at some point.

Nitram

Personally, I find this M-1 very intriguing. To me, it looks to be a salty old shipboard helmet, probably pieced together by some deck hand. As the talker chin straps looked a bit more comfortable and were likely readily available aboard ships, with a little modification he had himself another non-regulation Navy M-1. I really can not see any other senario that would have gotten this helmet this way as the Talker chin straps were only used by the navy.

Yes, Nitram. It looks like your are correct! I look forward to seeing the pics of the strap.

Emile

Quote by Nitram View Post
    I don't think so Emile, the Swedish/German ones seem to have little rivets holding the ends of the adjustable straps on, while the ends here are sewn together.

These are the rivets I refer to:

I'll post detailed pictures of the chinstrap once it's cleaned up. It's a dark colour atm; black almost. Not sure if that's the age or it was issued like that; or if someone went over it with black dye at some point.

Nitram
    Last edited by emileverbunt; 03-07-2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast