Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M1 fixed bail front seam - no heat stamp - u stamp instead?

Article about: Hello, a couple of months ago i search for an m1 helmet in my hometown antique market. And for a long time i finally got my target, the world war 2 era m1 shell. Front seam, fixed bail but n

Default M1 fixed bail front seam - no heat stamp - u stamp instead?

Hello, a couple of months ago i search for an m1 helmet in my hometown antique market.
    And for a long time i finally got my target, the world war 2 era m1 shell. Front seam, fixed bail but no liner nor chinstrap. Although it's already repainted heavily. And ruined badly.

Later i try to retrace it's history, is it the mccord or schlueter made helmet. But i can't find any heat stamp on this shell. Instead i found a stamp "U"?

So what's the meaning of this "U" stamp?
    Is this kind of heat stamp exist? Or is this just a scratch on the shell?

Thank you in advance.

?

Default Re: M1 fixed bail front seam - no heat stamp - u stamp instead?

At a guess, I'd say it is a zero, the heatstamp numbers can be really tall, especially the "0"

Andy

?

Odd paint on both helmets. I think there were 5 or so manufacturers of M1s, could be one of the others maybe? Or an 0 like Andy suggested.

Martin

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    At a guess, I'd say it is a zero, the heatstamp numbers can be really tall, especially the "0"

Andy
    Thank you Andy.
    Hmm i guess the other numbers is gone already....
    Or is there any possibility of the existence of a single digit heat stamp number?

Quote by Nitram View Post
    Odd paint on both helmets. I think there were 5 or so manufacturers of M1s, could be one of the others maybe? Or an 0 like Andy suggested.

Martin
    Really odd indeed. I never see a helmet painted like this (beside my stahlhelm). I really afraid this helmet was once from the heroes grave. Someone stole it and sold it on the antique market. Because the paint type is similar.
    I thought the m1 manufacturer was only 2? McCord and Schlueter? So what's the other manufacturer?

After i check some threads in here, i decide to take acetone on that "U". And this is what i got

I try to enhance it

"613I"?

Based from this chart:

My shell was made in August 1943?

I don't know much about heat stamps... but it appears that you've done a nice bit of research, feldgrau!

I think your helmet is a prime candidate for restoration!

Congrats finally a member who has made the effort to find out by themselves rather than just come on here and do the usual lazy type thing and just sit back and let other members do all the work so for that you deserve a pat on the back,as you have found out a McCord produced in 1943 and yes there were officially only 2 makers even thou the Parish mith will continue long after im gone,keep up the good work regards......Jake.

?

Quote by feldgrau33 View Post
    After i check some threads in here, i decide to take acetone on that "U". And this is what i got

I try to enhance it

"613I"?

Based from this chart:

My shell was made in August 1943?
    Excellent stuff! I'll have a bet with you that it is 613B.........................................

Andy

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    I don't know much about heat stamps... but it appears that you've done a nice bit of research, feldgrau!

I think your helmet is a prime candidate for restoration!
    Yes, i'm a bit confused first.
    About restoration, i'm still thinking about that. Because i see some red paint beneath this lime green paint! Could it be this shell an ex us navy helmet?
    Should i restored it? I guess i have to prepare a lot of acetone first.

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Congrats finally a member who has made the effort to find out by themselves rather than just come on here and do the usual lazy type thing and just sit back and let other members do all the work so for that you deserve a pat on the back,as you have found out a McCord produced in 1943 and yes there were officially only 2 makers even thou the Parish mith will continue long after im gone,keep up the good work regards......Jake.
    Thank you Jake! Well i'm really satisfied indeed. Thanks to this forum, i manage to solved the history of one of my collection. This is for the first time, i can determine the exact time of the shell manufacture time.

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    Excellent stuff! I'll have a bet with you that it is 613B.........................................

Andy

About alphabet on the number heat stamp, is that have any meaning at all?

As regards to the letter its never been determined exactly how McCord used these,Im pretty sure they never used the entire Alphabet.....Jake.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast