Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Fixed bail helmet

Article about: I have just recently started collecting combat helmets due to my wife's nagging about the guns I currently have stored in a cupboard. For some reason (only known to females) she finds helmet

Default M1 Fixed bail helmet

I have just recently started collecting combat helmets due to my wife's nagging about the guns I currently have stored in a cupboard. For some reason (only known to females) she finds helmets more acceptable than weapons. I'm not one given to violence, but I pointed out to her that a swift blow to the head with either deactivated gun or helmet would result in the same injury.

But back to the matters in hand. I purchased this fixed bail helmet at the Liverpool arms fair last Sunday. I am told that they are the more desirable type to own. I have seen the various makes of liner, but mine appears to be different... The steel shell has a stamp near the front rim bearing the number 175C. The liner has a logo that is like three links from a chain forming a triangle. Below the triangle are the letters COGEB (I think) but it is hard to make out. Below that are the letters ABL, and then underneath is a series of letters and numbers. All these markings are stamped in ink and are fairly faint, and the only mark actually stamped into the shell is the number 6. Can anyone advise me of the maker?

When I purchased the helmet there were the letters 'MP' painted rather crudely on the front in modern olive drab. Underneath this paint were still the letters 'MP' crudely painted in silver, a bit of silver had also been applied to the rim in places. It was only after cleaning off and taking the pictures that I noticed the ghostly outline of the letter 'A' - which is only visible in the picture and not when you look at the actual helmet. The seller did his usual sales pitch of how it came from 'Normandy' recently. But I take such comments with a pinch of salt.

Harry.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Fixed bail helmet   M1 Fixed bail helmet  

Attached Images Attached Images M1 Fixed bail helmet 

Thumbs up Re: M1 Fixed bail helmet

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I have just recently started collecting combat helmets due to my wife's nagging about the guns I currently have stored in a cupboard. For some reason (only known to females) she finds helmets more acceptable than weapons. I'm not one given to violence, but I pointed out to her that a swift blow to the head with either deactivated gun or helmet would result in the same injury.

But back to the matters in hand. I purchased this fixed bail helmet at the Liverpool arms fair last Sunday. I am told that they are the more desirable type to own. I have seen the various makes of liner, but mine appears to be different... The steel shell has a stamp near the front rim bearing the number 175C. The liner has a logo that is like three links from a chain forming a triangle. Below the triangle are the letters COGEB (I think) but it is hard to make out. Below that are the letters ABL, and then underneath is a series of letters and numbers. All these markings are stamped in ink and are fairly faint, and the only mark actually stamped into the shell is the number 6. Can anyone advise me of the maker?

When I purchased the helmet there were the letters 'MP' painted rather crudely on the front in modern olive drab. Underneath this paint were still the letters 'MP' crudely painted in silver, a bit of silver had also been applied to the rim in places. It was only after cleaning off and taking the pictures that I noticed the ghostly outline of the letter 'A' - which is only visible in the picture and not when you look at the actual helmet. The seller did his usual sales pitch of how it came from 'Normandy' recently. But I take such comments with a pinch of salt.

Harry.
    Hi Mate ,

Very nice and desirable steel pot
    The liner is post war Belgian model from the 50's, i have a couple of these in two of my M1's, i bought a front seam recently and it came with the same type of liner you've got.
    ABL stands for Armee Belge Leger. Cogeb is the manafacturer.

Overall a good purchase i would be chuffed with this one

Cheers mate

Gaz

Default Re: M1 Fixed bail helmet

Hi Gaz,
    Many thanks for the information. I'm torn between refurbishing the outside or leaving 'as is'. It's a very hard decision to make. I am a firm believer in not messing about with anything unless it's absolutely necessary.
    Regards,
    Harry.

?

Hi Harry great helmet the only thing I would do is get a WWII liner. Gary

Thumbs up Re: M1 Fixed bail helmet

Hi Gaz,
    Many thanks for the information. I'm torn between refurbishing the outside or leaving 'as is'. It's a very hard decision to make. I am a firm believer in not messing about with anything unless it's absolutely necessary.
    Regards,
    Harry.
    Hi Harry,

yeah i know what you mean, i have been tempted to refurbish some of my lids, i did once and deeply regretted it because the end result was s**te, so i would leave as is if i was you.

I'm not normally a jealous guy, but i think i am covetting your fixed bale

Cheers mate
    Gaz

Hi Gaz,
    As I said before, I know very little about American helmets. The dealer I purchased this off led me to believe it was all original WW11, and he charged me £100 for it. I'm in no rush to get a 'proper' liner. I'm sure I will be able to obtain one fairly easy.

Harry.

Hi Gaz,
    As I said before, I know very little about American helmets. The dealer I purchased this off led me to believe it was all original WW11, and he charged me £100 for it. I'm in no rush to get a 'proper' liner. I'm sure I will be able to obtain one fairly easy.

Harry.
    Hi Harry,

£100, well in my opinion that is not too bad, i regularly check out
    M1's on e bay, one fixed bale went recently for £80 ( no liner), and a just Belgian liner went for £30 a while back( i wanted it myself) so i think overall you did very well, it's a buyers market as they say.

I am after genuine ww2 liners, they are big buck's though...

Cheers mate

Gaz