Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

m1 fixed bail ... rear seam?!

Article about: Hello, 2 days ago i purchased this peculiar shell in the antique market. It's a fixed bail - rear seam shell. But both bails and seam didn't made from stainless steel at all. And it's seems

Exclamation m1 fixed bail ... rear seam?!

Hello, 2 days ago i purchased this peculiar shell in the antique market.
    It's a fixed bail - rear seam shell. But both bails and seam didn't made from stainless steel at all. And it's seems the end seam placement is not quite neat. Also i found numbers stamped on the shell but unfortunately i couldn't find any original heat stamp.

Tha bails

The rear seam

Paint and shell texture

Outer: dark green (possibly TNI paint)
    Inner: olive green (american paint?)

The stamp

Comparison
    With other fixed bail

With euro clone

So what do you think about this shell? Is it original american shell? Or is it a reseamed, rebailed and restamped shell by the indonesian?

Default Re: m1 fixed bail ... rear seam?!

Hi i would say non-US only on what i can see from the pics.the visor has too much of a crease across it,the rim looks too wide,those numbers look machined on,and no US made shells carry that type of stamping,the bales look like field type repairs,the shell is too high,the overall quality just isn't there,the seam is a complete mess,not what you would find on any US production,i could be wrong but im not keen on it at all,regards.............Jake.

I agree with jake its a clone shell that someone has welded fix bales to. The welds and material are all wrong on them, I would say ether for renactment or to try and deceive.
    Sorry
    Rod

First of all, pardon me for the very late reply.

Thank you very much for the opinion and information. Since there's no reenactment in here with making a helmet for that purpose (usually they use the ex euro-clone), i bet this is indonesian m1 clone. Thank you again!

Not US made example.

Red face Re: m1 fixed bail ... rear seam?!

Thank you again.
    And to be honest i'm much happier when i knew this isn't the original fix bail helmet. Because original fix bail helmet is much easier to be identified in here.

i know im late to reply on here BUT seeing as the fixed bales were pushed out in 1943 to be replaced with the swivel bale and the front seam helmet was pushed out in late 1944 and 45 to be replaced with the rear seam helmet rim that was made of a different steel (earlier helmet rims were stainless) so clearly the rear seam and fixed bales were never made together either this is a post war conversion like they said, or a post war clone. though im going more for a clone :P

I think everything is possible in here.
    Too bad i couldn't found any of the liner. If only the liner still exist, we can determine the origin of this shell.