Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 Fixed Bale

Article about: Hello Guys, I am very new to collecting US M1 Helmets. I came across this one near me. The pictures are all I have right now. I am trying to get some more. What should I be looking for? Shel

Default M1 Fixed Bale

Hello Guys,

I am very new to collecting US M1 Helmets. I came across this one near me. The pictures are all I have right now. I am trying to get some more. What should I be looking for? Shell looks in good condition. Khaki chinstrap looks good. What do you think of the markings? This guy is asking for an offer which I know you do not like but I cannot change that. It seems to be just a shell and no liner. What would be a fair offer?

Thanks,

William

M1 Fixed BaleM1 Fixed Bale

Hi William, the pictures are not great but from what i can see it looks original. The markings appear to be someone's initials, the helmet also looks to have original paint and chinstrap. As for price in the UK a fixed bail with original paint shell like this one would cost around £100, but original M1's are a lot more scarce here.

Cheers
    Harry

Quote by Harry Davey View Post
    Hi William, the pictures are not great but from what i can see it looks original. The markings appear to be someone's initials, the helmet also looks to have original paint and chinstrap. As for price in the UK a fixed bail with original paint shell like this one would cost around £100, but original M1's are a lot more scarce here.

Cheers
    Harry
    Thanks Harry that is a great help. I hope I can get better pictures. Do you think the initials are from WWII or added later?

William

a fixed shell like that might sell for over $100 on ebay on an auction, but since he's asking for your offer maybe offer him $50 - $75

I found a Navy used fixed bale for around $50 at the antique mall

the shell does look original from WWII with original markings & paint

This is a good early fixed bale with a raised bar chinstrap. It was probably used by the Navy, maybe the USMC. $100-$120 is a fair price.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    This is a good early fixed bale with a raised bar chinstrap. It was probably used by the Navy, maybe the USMC. $100-$120 is a fair price.
    What makes it Navy or USMC?

Thanks for your help. This is great. I love learning form these posts.

William

The way the initials are stenciled like that is the same way the Navy and USMC did it. Helmet used by the army either have a laundry mark or the soldier's full name and ASN, or it's just left blank. It's a shame the soldier's whole name isn't stenciled, otherwise I would be able to research it for you.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    The way the initials are stenciled like that is the same way the Navy and USMC did it. Helmet used by the army either have a laundry mark or the soldier's full name and ASN, or it's just left blank. It's a shame the soldier's whole name isn't stenciled, otherwise I would be able to research it for you.
    Thanks OB,

I will try to find out the name. The individual said it was his grandfathers. I am having trouble communicating with him. He thinks his helmet is worth $200-$225. I guess someone has offered him that much. I told him maybe $100-$125 and I think it made him made. We will see.

Thanks,

William

William, it is a nice m1 but $200-$225 is way too high. You price would be at the retail price for the helmet. Good luck I hope you get it. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    William, it is a nice m1 but $200-$225 is way too high. You price would be at the retail price for the helmet. Good luck I hope you get it. Marty
    Thanks Marty,
    He says he has had a couple of offers of $200-$225. I tried to tell him that someone was pulling his leg. I do not think he knows what he has and thinks he is going to make a killing on it. I would never pay more than $100 and only that if he will send more pictures and then I get to see it first hand. It looks interesting.

Thanks,

William

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast