Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 fixed bale with ID!!

Article about: Finally found my best M1 and was able to find some great information about the original owner... I clearly remember buying this lovely helmet, from a wonderful little shop (Collectors Corner

?

Default M1 fixed bale with ID!!

Finally found my best M1 and was able to find some great information about the original owner...
    I clearly remember buying this lovely helmet, from a wonderful little shop (Collectors Corner, in Maidenhead, Berkshire), way back in the mid-1980s.
    Although I cannot guarantee that it came with the net, I’m reasonably certain it did.

It is clearly an early production McCord, with stress fractures, brass fixings and front seam. Heat treatment code ‘51C’.
    Best of all, the liner, made by Westinghouse, is named to ‘James Royster – 34661404’

Private James H. Royster Jr.:
    Year of Birth: 22nd August 1923
    Nativity: Negro, citizen
    Education: 3 years of high school
    Civilian Occupation: Unknown
    Residence: Granville, North Carolina
    Marital Status: Single, with dependents
    Date of Enlistment: 6 January 1943
    Place of Enlistment: Ft Bragg, North Carolina
    Branch: Unknown
    Known Grades: Private

Any further information that you chaps can furnish, about Pvt. Royster or his helmet, will be most welcome...!
    I thank you.

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 fixed bale with ID!!   M1 fixed bale with ID!!  

M1 fixed bale with ID!!   M1 fixed bale with ID!!  

Nice helmet. I hope you find out additional information on Pvt Royster.
    John

Is the leather chinstrap buckle black or green and is it brass or steel?

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Good question Marty!

It appears to be blackened steel...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 fixed bale with ID!!   M1 fixed bale with ID!!  

M1 fixed bale with ID!!  

Nice set but leather chinstrap appears to be an aged repro and has been added purely to complete the set.

He is buried in Maryland having passed away in January 2012, sadly his wife passed in the same year. Thank him for his service and may he rest in peace.

Looks like a nice set well done. I can’t contribute to any information about the soldier.
    But that looks like the top of a 2 between the 1 and the C.
    The leather chin strap looks green to me judging from the “A” clips, and looks ok to me sorry dave! I might be wrong. I don’t even know if repo straps were available in the mid eighties unless you added it yourself.
    Good score
    Rod

I also don't see a problem with the strap.

MAP
    ?

While we have come a long way, during WW2 the US Army was still segregated. With few exceptions (that I am aware of) most African American Troops were employed in non-front line duties. Would this potentially explain the good condition of the helmet? Would it also question the netting as being original to the helmet?

I don't know. I'm just throwing it out there.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    African American Troops were employed in non-front line duties. Would this potentially explain the good condition of the helmet? Would it also question the netting as being original to the helmet?
    I agree with you, I think that there weren't any African Americans on the front lines until 1943 or 1942, but with out referencing one of my books I can't be sure.
    Even when they were allowed on the front lines it was not very common at all, I think.
    Even if it did belong to an African American soldier and it didn't see front line combat, it's still cool that it belonged to an African American soldier.

Edit: For instance, I have a Kelly helmet that belonged to a member of the 369th coast artillery segregated regiment, and I know that it never saw any combat, but its still a favorite in my collection.
    Last edited by Ethan; 10-26-2018 at 10:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast