Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Fixed Bale w/ Fiber Liner - 2nd ID

Article about: Today's arrival, and fitting indeed, as my Uncle was one of many men from the 2nd ID who came ashore on D-Day. My Uncle came in the second wave, tasked to protect the engineers as they clear

Default M1 Fixed Bale w/ Fiber Liner - 2nd ID

Today's arrival, and fitting indeed, as my Uncle was one of many men from the 2nd ID who came ashore on D-Day. My Uncle came in the second wave, tasked to protect the engineers as they cleared the beach obstacles. This one is a fixed bale, with an early fiber liner. The right bale is gone. The left bale is bent is such a way as to prevent the liner from being taken out of the shell. The liner is an early type, with the rectangular "A" rivets and the permanently affixed leather chin strap. The shell, which was wartime repainted, has a paper 2nd ID decal. The GI trimmed the white border of the insignia, as many did. The head dress has faded, also typical of these decals. Hope you like it as much as I do. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Fixed Bale w/ Fiber Liner - 2nd ID   M1 Fixed Bale w/ Fiber Liner - 2nd ID  

M1 Fixed Bale w/ Fiber Liner - 2nd ID   M1 Fixed Bale w/ Fiber Liner - 2nd ID  

Default Re: M1 Fixed Bale w/ Fiber Liner - 2nd ID

A very nice early m1 Jim.

4md
    ?

agreed a very nice helmet with a great liner

?

We've discussed this before, but this one has to have a history, it's so early. I'm jealous, I have put together a mid war liner and am expecting a fixed bale shell, with a 29th Div logo, that probably featured in 'Saving Private Ryan', as my first proper WW2 M1. Not quite the same. But interesting nonetheless. I have to be honest, I find American M1s more interesting than those German helmets.

Super Nice helmet Jim

Chris