Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 Fixed bales, arrived today.

Article about: Hi Guy's. This Fixed bale turned up this morning, Nicely bashed about,and a been there feel to this one.I'm not too sure about the, LT marking. The fixed bales I believe to be genuine, any c

Talking M1 Fixed bales, arrived today.

Hi Guy's.

This Fixed bale turned up this morning, Nicely bashed about,and a been there feel to this one.I'm not too sure about the, LT marking.

The fixed bales I believe to be genuine, any comments or feelings about this one ,please let me know

The Capac liner ( late war) is as you can see, pretty rough, to say the least, and the paint finish is probably not original, but Hey, I love em this way, got good used as been there,look to it.

I am chuffed with this lid......at last, I've got a Fixed bale in my collection

As ever ,any comments, or opinions are welcome,Thanks in advance Gaz
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Fixed bales, arrived today.   M1 Fixed bales, arrived today.  

M1 Fixed bales, arrived today.   M1 Fixed bales, arrived today.  

Default Re: M1 Fixed bales, arrived today.

the shape of the bales looks like it might be a rare Schlueter fixed bale shell? since it's been repainted the S marking might be covered up and hard to see, I have a WWII USN Schlueter and I almost missed the S marking because it's been painted over in battleship grey.

McCord bales usually have more of a squared or rectangular shape

Schueters are more rounded at the corner like how yours looks

I could be wrong?

but it's a nice find even though it's in rough well used condition

notice the difference in the shape of these bales? one is more squared and one has more rounded corners

Fixed bale helmets are getting pretty scarce these days, lots of collectors and less helmets available now.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Fixed bales, arrived today.  
    Attached Images Attached Images M1 Fixed bales, arrived today. 
    Last edited by battle gear; 03-26-2010 at 02:24 AM.

Quote by battle gear View Post
    the shape of the bales looks like it might be a rare Schlueter fixed bale shell? since it's been repainted the S marking might be covered up and hard to see, I have a WWII USN Schlueter and I almost missed the S marking because it's been painted over in battleship grey.

McCord bales usually have more of a squared or rectangular shape

Schueters are more rounded at the corner like how yours looks

I could be wrong?

but it's a nice find even though it's in rough well used condition
    notice the difference in the shape of these bales? one is more squared and one has more rounded corners

Fixed bale helmets are getting pretty scarce these days, lots of collectors and less helmets available now.
    Hi Mate.

Thanks for your comments, and for the information,this is very interesting ,as I did not know about the differences in the bale shapes, and I did'nt know that Schlueter made fixed bale lids,I assumed that they only made swivel bale helmets,later in the war.
    I have a Schlueter which is rear seam,and I know they were made in Front seam version prior to this.

Over where I guess there will be a heat stamp is a piece of very old tape( papery type stuff) I do not really want to remove it. But if your right about it being a rare Schlueter ,then I will be very pleased indeed,as this is my Fixed Bale M1...if it's a Schlueter as well .......Excellent.

Thanks for this info, I really appreciate your shared knowledge.

Your the Man

Nice used helmet. Are you leaving 'as is' ?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Nice used helmet. Are you leaving 'as is' ?
    Hi Harry.

Yeah,I think the shell is perfect,got a real nice patina on it,the liner I have already stripped back the paint,but I am not going to re-paint,as I really think that the patterning, of the fibres showing through,is very artistic.

Thanks for yours comments

Panzereno
    ?

Superb helmet, nice to see a "used" one, it is a shame that some dealers are using front seam swivel bale helmets and converting them to fixed bales, they are getting very scarce on the ground now
    But saying this, do you "restore" a rough looking helmet or do you leave alone ? whats your opinions about this ? i have quite a few m1 and m-1c helmets all in pretty good condition, but i only have on display the good ones , i do move them on now and again to make way for a better "looker" ! i am looking to sell my complete fixed bale , front seam, with rare inland paratrooper liner with chinstrap shortly, to finance another project, i will try to post some pics
    best wishes
    Mike.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Fixed bales, arrived today.   M1 Fixed bales, arrived today.  

Quote by Panzereno View Post
    Superb helmet, nice to see a "used" one, it is a shame that some dealers are using front seam swivel bale helmets and converting them to fixed bales, they are getting very scarce on the ground now
    But saying this, do you "restore" a rough looking helmet or do you leave alone ? whats your opinions about this ? i have quite a few m1 and m-1c helmets all in pretty good condition, but i only have on display the good ones , i do move them on now and again to make way for a better "looker" ! i am looking to sell my complete fixed bale , front seam, with rare inland paratrooper liner with chinstrap shortly, to finance another project, i will try to post some pics
    best wishes
    Mike.
    Hi Mike.

Personally i have not restored any Front seam M1's, and would not anyway,even if they are complete rust buckets. I have restored some Korean war era liners though, and I have restored quite a few ,80's shells, as I guess I have nothing to lose,as they are relatively cheap to buy,and their appearance ,in any war's is minimal, a lot of these 80's I have purchased,have come as WW2 mock up's, e.g. 2nd Rangers , 101st ,etc. With these I have stripped them ,and repainted.

One 80's M1,I recently got off ebay,was an MP marked lid, within a week ( once I was sure of it's history,or lack of in it's case) it was stripped down to metal.

Some members on this forum, feel you should not mess,with any Lid,personally if it's not got any real history,or provenance ,then I don't see any harm,if anything,when i finish with them,they are restored and likely to last more,than the next few decades

Cheers Mate.

?

Quote by Panzereno View Post
    best wishes
    Mike.
    i would have to say its not original the liner looks to be put together the "A" washers & "A" frame webbing looks new & artificiality aged IMHO also the shell chin strap looks wrong as well it looks repro to me ????

so to be honest the whole helmet looks to be a Frankenstein

Panzereno
    ?

Hello Nick,
    sorry to hear you say this, this whole helmet/ liner came in the large collection i purchased last year,over 173 helmets/ medals clothing books militaria merchandise, a quick look and packed up again untill last week when i had to clean some of the helmets, full of dust/dirt and grime washed off it is a very old liner and helmet and as i have been told quite rare as it is an inland, these being produced by General Motors ! but anyway i am happy with this it looks fine to me and some collectors i have shown it to.
    kind regards
    Mike.

Panzereno
    ?

Quote by gaz232sqn View Post
    Hi Mike.

Personally i have not restored any Front seam M1's, and would not anyway,even if they are complete rust buckets. I have restored some Korean war era liners though, and I have restored quite a few ,80's shells, as I guess I have nothing to lose,as they are relatively cheap to buy,and their appearance ,in any war's is minimal, a lot of these 80's I have purchased,have come as WW2 mock up's, e.g. 2nd Rangers , 101st ,etc. With these I have stripped them ,and repainted.

One 80's M1,I recently got off ebay,was an MP marked lid, within a week ( once I was sure of it's history,or lack of in it's case) it was stripped down to metal.

Some members on this forum, feel you should not mess,with any Lid,personally if it's not got any real history,or provenance ,then I don't see any harm,if anything,when i finish with them,they are restored and likely to last more,than the next few decades

Cheers Mate.
    i would agree with you on this count Gaz
    regards
    Mike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast