Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

M1 hawley help with proper cleaning and care?

Article about: HI. I recently posted about my early Hawley that I got from a yard sale. Just looking for advise on cleaning and care. The leather chin strap on the liner is not broke but it is hard and sta

?

Default M1 hawley help with proper cleaning and care?

HI. I recently posted about my early Hawley that I got from a yard sale. Just looking for advise on cleaning and care. The leather chin strap on the liner is not broke but it is hard and starting to crack? Inside it is missing the piece of rope in the center that ties it all together. also would like to stop any more rust? Thanks again to all the great people that have given me help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 hawley help with proper cleaning and care?   M1 hawley help with proper cleaning and care?  

M1 hawley help with proper cleaning and care?   M1 hawley help with proper cleaning and care?  

M1 hawley help with proper cleaning and care?   M1 hawley help with proper cleaning and care?  

M1 hawley help with proper cleaning and care?  

Default Re: M1 hawley help with proper cleaning and care?

Frankly leave it alone, any messing with it does more to destroy its value. The rust is not active, oil etc will do more to attract dust and crap tp your helmet, many of those oils will degrade the paint and seperate it form the helemt over time - keep it in a clean room temperature location away from direct sunlight. There is nothing you can do to stop leather deterioration once it has begun. The various dressing products just lubricate the leather and get material in between the fibres, but there is no way to replace lost suppleness in the cells of the leather and many commercial products will eventually go moldy on the leather.

Generally more harm than good is done to these things by people trying to clean or 'restore' them, there are a ton of threads on this arond here, ruined blades, guns, caps, decorations etc. You have a nice piece, enjoy it.

I personally, would get some good leather cream for the chin strap and sweat band and apply to the smooth side of the leather. And look for a lace on ebay or somewhere.
    Other than that leave the rest as it is.
    Don’t wash with water the leather might change to goo.
    Just my opinion others would probably disagree.
    Rod

?

Please just give the liner shell a dusting and leave it be. Water or chemicals will destroy the very fragile fibre. These things were very delicate even when new. Most were destroyed by use in the field. Just keep it dry and away from direct sunlight, and it should not deteriorate much. If using a leather protector be careful, some will turn the leather black, despite what it may say in the products description. As posted above, the rust is stable and will not deteriorate if kept dry.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

its in good condition for its age really ,you should just leave as is , some of mine have rust but it has not gotten worse at all as long as the environment it is kept in is good and not in direct sun light .cheers

?

Thanks everyone. I am bot going to do anything to it at all. I am going back to the guy that I bought it from and try and get a more complete history of it. Thanks Again

thats a good choice my friend and once again nice helmet ! take care