Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1, Hawley Liner, Unusual Paint

Article about: This is one I pulled down today to record. I'm going through my collection and doing an in depth photo record of them all. When I had a real good look at this one, something struck me as odd

?

Default M1, Hawley Liner, Unusual Paint

This is one I pulled down today to record. I'm going through my collection and doing an in depth photo record of them all. When I had a real good look at this one, something struck me as odd.

M1, Hawley Liner, Unusual PaintM1, Hawley Liner, Unusual Paint

The paint is lighter in colour, it's hard to show on photos. It is almost an apple green. I've always put that down to patina.

M1, Hawley Liner, Unusual PaintM1, Hawley Liner, Unusual Paint

I'ts had a light green overpaint, and maybe the painter has left a fingerprint? I've not seen an overpaint of this colour before.
    PTO? Marine camo? Any ideas?

M1, Hawley Liner, Unusual PaintM1, Hawley Liner, Unusual PaintM1, Hawley Liner, Unusual PaintM1, Hawley Liner, Unusual PaintM1, Hawley Liner, Unusual PaintM1, Hawley Liner, Unusual PaintM1, Hawley Liner, Unusual PaintM1, Hawley Liner, Unusual PaintM1, Hawley Liner, Unusual PaintM1, Hawley Liner, Unusual PaintM1, Hawley Liner, Unusual PaintM1, Hawley Liner, Unusual PaintM1, Hawley Liner, Unusual Paint

Here it is in comparison with one with factory paint.

The heatstamp is 142C, meaning the pot was produced roughly around May 1942, it's also a matching set with "64" painted on the pot and liner.
    The liner chinstrap is just about hanging in there!
    The pot and liner show some use, the front of the liner is damaged where the helmet would normally be picked up, so there is a chance
    this one saw some action, rather than sitting out the war on an officers desk!
    If anybody has or seen a helmet with this kind of paint or has any ideas about it, let me know!

Best Regards,

Andy

ps,
    it's the one on the left.

?

Default Re: M1, Hawley Liner, Unusual Paint

Field repaint, or is that the only shade? I do recall reading somewhere that the quality of paint varied throughout the war due to availability of various chemicals, but don't take my word for it.

Lovely helmet either way.

Martin

Maybe a slight variation in the color of paint occurred from batch to batch?

Looks like a band of some sort was wrapped around the helmet.

?

Thanks gents,
    Yes, I'm thinking field repaint too, but perhaps an individual one as camo?
    It's certainly not an ETO repaint, I think a lime green would look out of place in Normandy. Must be PTO?
    I thought the band could be a stacking mark?

Best Regards,

Andy

I've seen field repaints of all sorts of shades of green. I have a liner that was overpainted with this shade.

?

Would anybody disagree that this one is probably PTO?

Best Regards,

Andy

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    Would anybody disagree that this one is probably PTO?

Best Regards,

Andy
    I would say that there is a pretty equal chance of it being either PTO or ETO, in my opinion.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    I would say that there is a pretty equal chance of it being either PTO or ETO, in my opinion.
    I would agree with Mo there is no way that you could identify it as one or the other, without a province. Field painted helmets would be done with whatever they had on hand so if that is the only paint they had in the ETO, PTO, or MTO at the time thats what would be used.
    IMO
    Any matter its still a great lid

I've found that PTO liners tend to be a little more deteriorated. Damn sea salt and tropical sun...