Become our sponsor and display your banner here

M1 helmet

Article about: Hello everybody, I brought this helmet when I was a boy, at a car boot sale more than twenty years ago, for just a few pounds. I dont know anything about M1 helmets but I have been looking a

Default M1 helmet

Hello everybody, I brought this helmet when I was a boy, at a car boot sale more than twenty years ago, for just a few pounds. I dont know anything about M1 helmets but I have been looking at previous threads and researching it a bit elsewhere. It seems to me that the shell is of postwar production due to the slightly lower profile and light green paint (it also has a rear seam of course) and is probably of the Vietnam era. I cannot find a stamped number in the dome, there is just an ink marking (shown). I understand the liner however, is wartime, by Firestone. The chinstrap is known to be a reproduction.

I am now looking for an inexpensive wartime shell, im not too fussy about the condition as long as its all original.

I just wanted to show it however in case I have got anything wrong or anyone can add anything else. Many thanks, Douglas
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m16.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	544741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m13.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	544738  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m10.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	316.4 KB 
ID:	544735   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m17.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	544742  

Name:	m14.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	544739   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m11.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	162.1 KB 
ID:	544736  

Name:	m15.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	544740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m19.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	178.8 KB 
ID:	544733  

Name:	m12.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	544737  

Default Re: M1 helmet

how you going. the liner looks like black a washers should make it 44 45. but the sweat band looks post war. ink stamped on the helmet im to shore about.

?

Douglas, I think you got it right. I have a decent swivel bale shell if you're interested. WW2 vintage, nothing special, and inexpensive.

?

The sweatband appear to be a later addition from the 50s and the shell looks like it is from the 50s or 60s

Thanks for your responses. Gitana, I will take a look at the helmet if you want to post some pictures and give me a price, also please let me know which country you are in.

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	545199

Yep, a mixed bag of parts and vintages. Keep the liner and try to locate a period sweat band. I just picked up an original WII M1 shell for $85 so they are out there. Chin straps are supposed to be bar tacked (not clipped) so finding a shell with the chin strap intact is preferable. You can gussy it up with a period camo net - they are fairly inexpensive and available. Attached a photo of the M1 I put back together. NH