Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 Helmet date?

Article about: by Nitram Interesting; sorry to derail the topic but I've just measured a US M1 I own, a Dutch M53 and a Belgian M51; here's the results: US M1: 18 1/4 Inches Belgiam M51: 18 1/4 Inches Dutc

?

Default M1 Helmet date?

Hello,

Got this helmet a while ago. It has a rear seam and swivel bails. There are a few stress fractures around the helmet. There is also a 3 digit number on the inside near the front, 631? Can anyone tell me if its possible to date this helmet?

Many thanks, David.

M1 Helmet date?M1 Helmet date?M1 Helmet date?M1 Helmet date?M1 Helmet date?

Default Re: M1 Helmet date?

It a rear seam, post war specs.

Not dated WWII, that be i can do

?

the only date frame i can give you on this shell is from the 1960's onwards & the chin strap dates from the late 70's onwards.

?

Nick, I'm surprised you didn't comment on the stainless steel rim... Didn't those stop in late 44-early 45 when the seam was moved back?

Nitram

shell is from the 1968-1976 period.

Looks Vietnam era.

?

Quote by Nitram View Post
    Nick, I'm surprised you didn't comment on the stainless steel rim... Didn't those stop in late 44-early 45 when the seam was moved back?

Nitram
    its not uncommon to see this type of rim on post war lids don't ask me why maybe use of old stock but its not the first time Ive seen this.

?

How odd. I always assumed anything post war with a stainless steel rim was a clone. Learn something new every day on this forum!

Nitram

also notice it has a fine sand / silca paint texture that dates from the 1950's and after

here's another tip use a tape measure and go over the top from one side to the other, if it measures 18" in or more it could be 1950's, if it's less than 18" total it's a Vietnam era low dome from the late 60's

or it may even be a foreign clone from another country? The IDF / Israeli military may have refurbished it and it could have come from US surplus

Ive seen both steel shells and the liners that were rewebbed by Israel that were of US origin

?

Interesting; sorry to derail the topic but I've just measured a US M1 I own, a Dutch M53 and a Belgian M51; here's the results:
    US M1: 18 1/4 Inches
    Belgiam M51: 18 1/4 Inches
    Dutch M53: 18 1/2 Inches

Thought it might be interesting to know. I suppose that places my M1 at pre-Nam'.

Nitram

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast