Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Helmet Graffiti

Article about: M1 Helmets are not my expertise, nor is helmet with graffiti. Graffiti is certainly faked a lot, and i'm exceptionally wary around ANY helmet with insignia or writing of any sort on it if th

Default M1 Helmet Graffiti

M1 Helmets are not my expertise, nor is helmet with graffiti. Graffiti is certainly faked a lot, and i'm exceptionally wary around ANY helmet with insignia or writing of any sort on it if the seller claims it's original. This listing went up on a militaria site in Vancouver for 125 bucks. Wondering if the graffiti is original and if 125 bucks is worth it? They're also selling a M1 Helmet from the late 60s without any graffiti or helmet band for 90 bucks.. Wondering if that's a reasonable price, as well.

Thanks for any response in advance.

I'm no expert either...but either the pics are shaky....or the writing has "run" with age...or it's been on there a while BUT has been re-inked at a later date to be clearer. Like you, I'm always suspicious of personalisations....but we KNOW it happened...and some of 'em HAVE to be period right?...but I think it's a bit like kissing frogs......

Good luck!

Most collectors when they collect a graffiti helmet its normally a combat used helmet, so with this one it’s not combat used. The reason i feel like it’s not, is the aircraft on the side of the helmet. Some of the aircraft on the helmet are large plane( class c heavys) maybe used and a few are small planes and probably used as trainer so a helmet would be useless.
    Is the graffiti real your call but it stands a good chance as good. The subject matter is the question when it price and if the liner is good I would try for under 100.00.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thank you for the info. I'll see if I can knock the seller down to 100, maybe even less.. Like Composite said, it looks like the graffiti has been re-inked or is running. so at the very least, It was done shortly after Vietnam. It's a nice helmet and I appreciate your opinion on the aircraft.

?

It may not be an actual VN bringback. The aircraft listed are all used in para-drop operations so the cover may be from an 82nd Airborne trooper. Salerno, Sicily and Normandy are drop zones on Ft. Bragg. Aaron may be a mispelling of DZ Oran on Bragg. Griff is unknown to me, it may be a last name.

OlBEAR

Now you got my hopes up!

?

Not really a fan of this one looks like they used marked and heavily washed it hence the bleeding. Other than that the cover doesnt show much wear above the rim. Its possible this was done as a coming home thing though.

I can't comment on the originality of the graffiti but in my opinion, 90 bucks for a complete 1960's dated M1 isn't a bad price at all. If you are not sure about what they look like I would suggest to post here first. Regards.