MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

M1 Helmet Help

Article about: by Walkwolf The chinstrap is a repro, IMO. Looks like a Norwegian chinstrap from the 60s Best regards from Norway

?

Default Re: M1 Helmet Help

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    If it has a sand finish it is post WWII for sure.
    not necessarily as it could have been repainted post war but the NWA 22 is throwing me a bit at the mo thats why im now thinking Aussie made & it would make sense being that he's based in New Zealand.

Quote by NickD View Post
    not necessarily as it could have been repainted post war .
    This is true, it's hard to nail these things down when they live on for generation after generation.....that's what I like about the M-1's. I think the shine I see is just from the flash of the camera and not a Stainless Steel rim, but Jumpingjank will need to verify this. I know there is at least on clone that has a SS rim with a rear seam, just can't recall which of the dozen or so clones it is.

well I'm sure NICK told you about the camo cover, the mitchell was used by the marines first & has shorter sides & dates back to at least 63, then the army started using them later, then the military made the sides longer, so they fit around the bales & chinstaps, so they didn't have to cut slits in the sides anymore. I have bought all kinds of mixes as far as helmets , liners, etc. the last m-1 I bought had a front seam helmet with a Nam liner & mitchell cover most Nam liners have a pull through tab in the middle of the rear of the liner & one on each side for the nape strap which is really more comfortable than the ww2 & korean type nape straps. sounds like you got a good deal though, even Nam helmets have gone up in price lately. good find

?

have a look here about Aussie made M-1's

Australian Vietnam MI?

ok i dont know much but i can tell you the straps look us m1 not aussie .second my camera had the flash on ill take some better ones in a min and send them to nice ,third around the sides its sand paperis but only a little bit of it is sand paper. also to crazy horse we found out my camo was made in 73 .but as for the shell no one can date it so i will take a picture very soon and send it to nick

?

the chin straps are indeed US versions.

i have sent some more pics to you nice anyway is there anyway to tell it may be US i would rather have a US one that aussie . anyway you have been a big help and tell me if the other pictures help

and it is a flash from the camera mysonsdad

?

here's a section of the type of heat stamp numbers found in US made M-1s
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Helmet Help   M1 Helmet Help  

M1 Helmet Help   M1 Helmet Help  

Attached Images Attached Images M1 Helmet Help 

?

heres some more pics on behalf of jumpingjank
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Helmet Help   M1 Helmet Help  

M1 Helmet Help  

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast